H4350 here to stay or just temporary?

DartonJager

After H4350 being out of stock for at LEAST 2 years a store near me has a decent quantity of it on hand. But I am very concerned I'll develop some great reloads with it, only to have it once again vanish for another multi year availability drought.

So does anyone know if Hogdon is going to continue keeping it available or is this just a temporary supply prior to returning to long term unavailability?

Thanks,
Arthur.

Buy enough and you won't have to worry about a shortage. I've been loading it non stop for 30 years, probably got another 10 years worth in stock. It's not Hogdon that is the problem.....it's us (a lot of new/old cartridges like H4350)

Hogdon is selling all it can get so it's here to stay but the demand might be out stripping supply . Even the Military might be soaking up some supplies as it can load 300 Winchester magnum quite well. I think ADI might be struggling to make enough powders to satisfy the Military World wide at the moment . There has been shortages of certain projectiles and powder for some time since the US Military started to order up big. What happens is the production swings more to the Government contracts and civilian stuff gets scarcer .

I believe the high demand creating the shortage has lot to do with the growing popularity of PRS. It is THE powder for the most popular calibers being used. It's not difficult for serious shooters to burn a pound in a weekend or two, and stock enough same lot powder to burn through a barrel. Lots of hoarding going on. Combine this with the adoption rate of the 6.5CM for general hunting/shooting, and it's no wonder that it's not lasting long on the shelves. IMO, H4350 is definitely here to stay. It's consistency, temperature stability, and overall performance is excellent. Hopefully, Hogdon will eventually adjust to the demand rate. In the mean time it can be had but shooters have to change their buying process to get it. Getting on web site waiting lists, and responding very quickly when you get notification of availability is the only way that I have been able to maintain supply......a painful process. Gone are the days when you can just run down to the local gun shop, or just pick some up at Cabelas.

Greyfox,

Is it hording to purchase enough to use up a barrel?

While I suspect there are hoarders, hoarding may not be the right term in this case since the powder is not just purchased without purpose. For competitors it's quite common to acquire enough powder and components to last the barrels life. Given the frequency and volume of reloading required to compete on a regular basis, one can save time(and barrel life) on what is already a time consuming reloading process. If a new lot of powder is acquired it is necessary to verify any changes in velocity, accuracy, etc., that result.

Hoarding has an impact. My cousin went in, asked how much H4350 they had, (12lbs) and bought it all. Lol that was two years ago and still hasn't started reloading. Lol

It's not really considered hoarding when some are astute enough to be prepared and others just have to resort to plan B. If I didn't have H4350, there are at least 4 others I could "make due with" and not lose a step.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I should have chosen the wording of my title better, in so much as I have no doubt H4350 is here to stay. What I now realize was an error on my part in the phrasing of my question was NOT weather Hodgdon will continue to produce H4350, as we all know Hodgdon undoubtedly will.

What I SHOULD have asked originally was what are anyones thoughts or beliefs that Hodgdon WILL continue LONG TERM to manufacture enough H4350 for it to remain reasonably available to be bought by reloaders.

I would like to give H4350 a try in several calibers, but #1-Don't want to base my reloading on a powder who's supply is unreliable and #2-I don't want to spend $200 stock piling a powder until I am certain it will work at least as good as others I already have. My main reason for wanting to give H4350 a try is it's highly touted reputation for minimal temp sensitivity.

Presently I am getting such good results using IMR 4831 I should count my blessings and be happy with the accuracy I am getting with it and stop the grass just MIGHT be greener with a different powder just because I can't try it.

Hogdon is selling all it can get so it's here to stay but the demand might be out stripping supply . Even the Military might be soaking up some supplies as it can load 300 Winchester magnum quite well. I think ADI might be struggling to make enough powders to satisfy the Military World wide at the moment . There has been shortages of certain projectiles and powder for some time since the US Military started to order up big. What happens is the production swings more to the Government contracts and civilian stuff gets scarcer .

Hasn't Hodgdon stopped bringing in some powders from ADI? Some of their powders are now coming from Canada and they are not rated the equal of the ADI product. If that happened with H4350 and Varget, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy campers/reloaders!

Saw 80+ 1 pounders the other day at my local shooting supply. Several 8 lb also. Most I've seen in a decade.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts