Old to New H4350

Alan Griffith

Wouldn't you know it. I find what I believe to be "THE" load with my last few grains of Scotish made H4350, Nosler 180 Accubond in 30-06. I buy some new H4350 yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo and volume for volume, the new H4350 is about 2.5 to 3 grains heavier due to the shorter cut grains. My delema is where to start again. Accubond's are not cheap. The load is 57.5 grains with the velocity running 2728 fps from my 22" Mag-Na-Ported Rem 700 barrel, which has been turned down to .550" at the muzzle.

I know, I know. Back down 8-10% and work back up again. I wish Hodgdon continued to make Long Cut H4350 like they do for H4831.

Big Al

I personally have found very little difference in H-4350 from lot to lot...I don't shoot them at the max however and over the chronograph there reasonably close. Why don't you just use some other bullet and get an idea of any difference between them before you shoot the expensive bullets..more than likely you'll find very little if any difference in this powder..even when switching years ago to the short cut I notices no difference other than it being easier to meter and work with, good luck and no real need to worry about differences in these slower powders on general..

I use the 180 BTs to play with loads, then switch to the ABs. It has yet to take more than 2 or 3 clicks to get the ABs to get over where I want them.

I also shoot ballistic tips for load development then switch to accubond bullets for hunting. I have not seen any difference in groups out to 400 yards.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.