New brass or old brass?

BlackKnight755

I recently got some new Lapua 6.5x284 brass that was new, but old stock. I am wondering if the old brass is just as good as the new Lapua brass? I shoot the same lot number brass in competition and I weight sort to at least have 250 pieces for the competition brass. I do have that much that I can do this with it but if the new brass is better I won't even start working this brass up to competition specs, I'll just buy the new stuff.

Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BK.

Some folks think the new Lapua brass in a blue plastic box is thinner than the old cardboard carton brass. I have just one box of the new stuff in .223; but have not yet checked it.

BK755,

It's exactly the same, no change in any dimensions or specifications. What Gene is refering to only applies to one cartridge; the 6mmBR. We recently had to reduce our neck thickness in these cases by a bit less than .0005" per side, or a bit under .001" total, to comply with CIP specs. We'd been running these cases on the high end of the specifications, and invariably, some ran just a tad over. This meant that loaded ammunition would sometimes fail to pass neck gaging as being slightly too thick. As a CIP member, we were legally obligated to reduce the thickness to a point where the loaded cases would all pass neck gaging. Again, let me stress that the 6mmBR cases were the only ones affected by this change, and none of the rest of the line was changed in any way.

The change to the new blue plastic boxes roughly coincided with this switch, but there is no such thing as "new blue box" or "old cardboard box" brass out there based soley on what they came in. It was coincidental that the 6mmBR brass was adjusted during this time frame, but there was no attempt to seperate them by box style. Your 6.5/284 or Gene's 223 Rem cases are completely unaffected by this, despite some misinformation or misunderstandings on the subject. I hope this helps clarify this a bit and puts your mind at ease, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. I'm always glad to help.

Thanks for the replies. Kevin thanks especially for the info and detailed explanation. I have used Lapua with good results. If I don't heat the rounds up too much, I can get many firings on the 6.5x284 brass. I F/L resize all of my brass and it works just fine. I think that I am going to invest in an anealer and I think that with this I will see an improvement and be able to stretch case life even more.

Thanks again, BK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts