H-S Precision M24 or Bell and Carlson M40

RyanG

I just got a Remington 700 SPS in 308. It has the 26" heavy varmint barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. With the current stock... factory.... I cannot get it to shoot better that about an 1 1/2 or so at a hundred yards. I am going to change out the stock and could use some advice on which stock to go with. I am leaning towards the H-S but its about a hundred dollars more than the Bell and Carlson. What are your thoughts.....

I have had both. My preference is the H&S. I bought a B&C for the same reason you posted. Cost Less. I got what I paid for. The fit and finish sucked!!!! I sent it back and bought another H&S. Hope this helps. Bedding either stock will also help.

I have 2 HS Stocks and 1 B&C. The B&C required some fitting in the barrel area and the action. The HS stocks did not. I like HS stocks!!

Thank you guys. I think that you are right.... you get what you pay for..... I am going to order the H-S in the morning....

Any other suggestions on what to do about my group size... Like I said I could only get about an 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch group no matter what the load. I shoot better than that... I know you hear that all the time... but I do... lol.... anyway any help would be greatly appreciated :D

I also say go with the H-S, it is a much better stock. As stated above, bedding the stock will also help. Most gunsmiths will skim-bed a H-S stock for about $125.

I had a similar problem with a factory 30-06. I put on the H&S stock a timney trigger set at about 2lbs and like magic sub moa. Make sure the action screws are torqued to 65 INCH pounds.

I just got a Remington 700 SPS in 308. It has the 26" heavy varmint barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. With the current stock... factory.... I cannot get it to shoot better that about an 1 1/2 or so at a hundred yards. I am going to change out the stock and could use some advice on which stock to go with. I am leaning towards the H-S but its about a hundred dollars more than the Bell and Carlson. What are your thoughts.....
I have two B&C medalist stocks on my Howa 1500's I coudn't be more pleased with them. the medalist line is head and shoulders above the other stocks B&C sells. What they are calling their M40 stock is indeed equiped with allumimun ribs from tip to grip as well as the aluminum bedding block just like the rest of their medalist line. I don't think there is much difference between the HS precision stocks and the B&C medalist line. The almost 3000 dollar Les Bear custom .308 wears an A5 medalist. The Weatherby Sub MOA Vanguard rifles also wear a medalist stock (not the A5 though). If it were my money to spend and I had a Remington 700 rifle, the B&C M40 would be my stock of choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts