Guy claims he can back up his long range hunting claim

I was really hoping the shooter would do good, I was confident he would not shoot them all.... but man It's been along time since I've seen someone shoot that poorly. The 3 shot group was unacceptable, as was the misses under 300. No rangefinder needed for shots under 400 in my opinion. xsn10s I agree he was not that knowledgeable. A 300 winny is not the rifle for 100 consecutive shots. Jason

I was really hoping the shooter would do good, I was confident he would not shoot them all.... but man It's been along time since I've seen someone shoot that poorly. The 3 shot group was unacceptable, as was the misses under 300. No rangefinder needed for shots under 400 in my opinion. xsn10s I agree he was not that knowledgeable. A 300 winny is not the rifle for 100 consecutive shots. Jason
Yeah the shooter seemed like a likeable guy. And I don't like to see vets set up to fail. Heck I don't like to see anyone set up to fail.

nothing is realistic about shooting 100 shots to simulate "hunting" so the whole video is a crock of "shat"
Agreed !! When My Family Practices, "Field Shooting" we shoot about, 15 to 18 total, "Good" Rounds each from, 100 -150 Yds Off hand to, 375 - 400 yds Sitting with Stix, then, 600 to,750 yds Prone, over Pack / Bipods and We, have NO problem dropping, Deer and Elk, every Season.
My 12 year old grandson made, 5 Spring / Summer, Trips, to the rolling Desert Hills, BEFORE, ever taking his First shot at, Game !
First shot, Prone over Pack at 227 yds, He got, a Nice Fat, 3x4 Mule Deer. 2nd Shot at, 13 y/o, a Huge 30+ inch, 4x5, Muley at,.. 268 yds !
He practices shots to, 350 Yards and now, this year, we'll move him out to, 450- 500 yards, on Steel with my old .270 WSM Tikka that has been, "Braked" for, him. IMO, the "Marine" is lacking Field shooting Skill's as, NO Rear Toe REST ( MANDATORY,.. IMO ! ) and is, Shooting, WAY, Too MUCH, Gun for, him !! Light weight, Tikka's, in the Bigger, Cal's are NOT, Fun to shoot, if NOT,.. BRAKED !

Last edited:

This is why I posted the video on my thread. I was hoping to get some opinions like mine.
When I was young 100 shots would have hurt, but my dumb*** would have done it anyway.
My 12 year old has shot 2" groups at 400 with my friends TC Venture 300 WM. So I was shocked to see how few he hit also. So were my boys. 300 and under is easily done without a range finder.

I just remembered a 30 round load development I did for my buddies 300 RUM. No brake. No sled. In a Tshirt in July. It was a Rem 700 skinny barrel. I got through all of them....hated every shot.
That was 20-30 years ago....I have since became wiser.

FWIW I went back and looked at my score from NF ELR. 70 pcs of steel from 700-2200 yards. (average about 1200) They score first round impacts 2 points and second round 1 point, there is 70 pcs of steel in the match. I had 35 first round impacts, 15 second rounders and 20 misses. I feel I would do significantly better from 1-600 yards.

Note this was not shot with a hunting rifle.... 30 SM with a 32" tube with a brake one it weighing 20lbs.

So heres my thoughts…if he was a good shooter as he had claimed to be at least that seems to be how he was making him self out to be I think he would of been more prepared. One thing I never seen him do is dope a shot and he did not seem to have a good shooting discipline or just looked super nervous and he came off the gun so fast after taking a shot. Even with the provided ammo which was I believe hornady grey box ELDX ammo. He should at least had the opportunity to test drive it and get some chronograph info for dope. Unless he was using his own. I took some of the hornady ammo with me this last year for hunting but it's been tested and I have an average velocity and all the other info I need to go along with the 2 boxes. I also have an sig kilo, my kestrel, and my ballistic app on my phone. This is what I need to make probably any thing past 400 yards. well probably 500 yards. I could probably right down some dope for my bullets as backup but I take the same stuff every time I go shooting. But i honestly think he put his on self at a disadvantage. As for the host of backfire everyone can have there own opinions personally I enjoy some of the things he puts out. I do agree probably with wife shooting the 300win was a bit much.

Here are my thoughts on this...This guy just plain isn't a good shooter. Unknown variables, sure. Hard to get ranges, sure. But his hit percentages were terrible. Just this past Saturday I shot in my first ever PRS style competition. I used a loaner rifle that the organization provided. I showed up with 140 rounds of ammo, for the 98 round course. The rifle got there late, I had enough time to shoot 10 rounds, verify zero and get a velocity. Of the targets there, at known ranges, I was able to hit 65% out to 1254 yards with a rifle I never shot with ammo I was unfamiliar with. I did use my Kestrel with AB.

My first stage went very poorly as I needed to borrow a tripod that I wasn't familiar with the controls for it. My second to last stage I made 2/3 at 1060 just holding a little bit of wind and using the come-ups from the Kestrel with AB. I actually went 7/10 on this stage with 3 rounds at 1060, 3 at 980, 2 at 950, and 2 at 625, I cant remember what other two shots I dropped.

This guy came unprepared and is just bad a shooting.

Last edited:
But this has got me thinking, I now want to put out some milk jugs and see how I do. I generally just shoot paper and rocks with all the intention of practicing for hunting season or tinkering with my loads which is what I do mostly. This was my 500 yard target for my 7mm-08 with factory 150eldx the lower 2 shots. First shot completely forgot to dial/ hold for wind. Completely off target. The 3 upper ones are from my 308. I plan on refining the 308 load but the 150 grain shot really good when you remember to hold for wind. And don't get me wrong like this never happens during hunting cause I can say it definitely does. I shot a buck at 761yrds and forgot to hold for wind and put it through the liver instead of square on the shoulder. Still dead one shot kill but yes it happens. The loaded ammo for the 7-08 is something I'm going to try and replicate. The ELDX ammo cases seem to fit a little snug in my rifle. So I think my head space is a little on the smaller end of Sami spec. Probably a good thing. The velocity is adequate for the rifle. It would be nice to have them going a little faster but it only has a 22 inch barrel. But it's deer killing accuracy.
IMG_2503.jpeg

I think a better title for this video would be "Turns Out, Hope is Not a Plan". Nothing about this guy or his setup conveys any semblance of competence or proficiency. Unfortunately, this is what people point to when they say nobody should be taking shots beyond 300 yards on game. Well, if you don't have any concept of shooting fundamentals, know anything about long range shooting (which this doesn't even qualify) and have a grossly subpar setup then yeah, you definitely shouldn't even attempt it.

Don't be like Mike. Guy is shooting an unbraked, lightweight 300WM, with no rear bag, with a bad zero, with no known velocity, with a budget optic, with no application of the fundamentals of precision shooting, etc etc…the list goes on and on. He clearly doesn't even know how to properly setup eye relief or use the magnification in his scope…not surprising at all that he went 50% from 200-300 and 25% from only 300-400. Pretty much expected. Completely unprepared to say the least.

I'd be willing to bet that he has a hard time holding a 1 mil group at 300 yards in field conditions, let alone being able to shoot one…which is ~the size of a milk jug. News flash, you have to be able to consistently shoot groups smaller than your intended target, at the distance you intend to shoot targets at, with the rifle/system you intend to shoot them with…in order to consistently hit targets at those distances. Confidence needs to be based in reality. And, the reality is that neither this guy or his setup were capable before they even stepped up to the line.

Last edited: