gunsmith needed for Husqvarna

marioq

I have a 7mm that I want to convert to a 6.5x284
The action is a Husqvarna and I think is is a mauser type action. I need a stock too but I have the barrel. Just wanted to see who can do this work and start researching.
Anyway, Please let me know if you know anyone or have a thought.

Thanks
Mario

I would think anyone who works on mausers could handle the job. I also have a husqvarna that is going to be re-barreled in the not too distant future. I also found a good link for a trigger upgrade as mine is rather poor. I am still researching stocks but I have a mauser stock that I will be checking first.

marioq,

First, here is a list of gunsmiths who work on Mausers:

Mauser Gunsmith list

Second but should probably be first, you need to tell us more about which Husqvarna rifle you have as there are several variations.

Third, 7mm what? I suppose we could guess but it's mighty important to know for sure to make the proper evaluation.

Regards.

marioq,

First, here is a list of gunsmiths who work on Mausers:

Mauser Gunsmith list

Second but should probably be first, you need to tell us more about which Husqvarna rifle you have as there are several variations.

Third, 7mm what? I suppose we could guess but it's mighty important to know for sure to make the proper evaluation.

Regards.

It's an imperial 7mm mag. I was thinking of making it a 6.5x284. I like the action and I've heard it's not a bad action just hard to find people to work on it.
Thanks for the help.

marioq,

I think most beginning gunsmith have gotten their start by working on Mausers in one form or another. You just have to dig around these days to find someone you get along with to do the work you request. That's why I posted the link to the list of gunsmiths. That is a short list by the way, there are probably another 100 or more that can handle any of the work on Mausers.

I think that several models of the Husqvarna action and the Improved Model M98 actions are superb for some types of rifles. In fact I have an excellent Husqvarna Crown Grade I rebuilt for the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved.

The important change here is the fact that your rifle is set up for a belted magnum cartridge which has a .532" rim (0.540" bolt face). The 6.5-284 cartridge has a .473" rim (0.480" bolt face). The extractor is designed and machined for that larger cartridge which will not capture and extract the smaller rim of the 6.5-284 cartridge. The additional bobble is that the 6.5-284 cartridge rim is rebated or smaller than the body diameter of the case. The head of the case right above the extractor groove is 0.500" in diameter with the rim being 0.473" as I stated above. Occasionally this will cause a small problem with the extraction set up.

Trying to modify a Mauser bolt and extractor for the smaller cartridge will be more of a cost if someone will even agree these days to do it. The bolt has to be welded up and then re-cut to the smaller dimensions. This is NOT a standard practice such as bushing a Remington M700 bolt face so I don't recommend it for consideration. Personally, I suggest sticking with a cartridge which will utilize the existing bolt face and enjoy your new rifle. The alternative is to get another action to work with which will utilize the 6.5-284 case.

The .264 Win. Mag. would be a direct substitution. With proper powder/bullet selection it can provide superb performance and great barrel life with some of the newer powders.

Regards.

And that is exactly why I need a smith!!!! Hahahaha. I had no clue that there was a difference that required bolt work..... Thank you so much
For the heads up!!!! With that being said, I think I will stick with the standard cartridge that has a 7mm mag bolt face. Maybe a stw???? Make it number 4 in my collection.
Or the 264 like you said.
I think I will do some research and get a stock so that I can send the project as a whole to the smith for the work.
That list is helpful and I will use one of those. Or, if your smith is someone you trust, no need to take a shot in the dark. If I have to send it, doesn't matter to me if it is one or 5 states away. As long as they are trustworthy and honest.
Anyway, thanks for your help and advice!!!!!

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.