Gunsmith needed

tnshooter111

I have a 257 WBY on a mark 5 action that I had a gunsmith put a shilen barrel on that I am not happy with. I am actually scared to shoot the gun now. I had this done 2 years ago and the rifle never really shot that well. It would shoot a 1.5 to 2 inches at best with most loads. I had a really hard time getting the brass to work in my chamber so I carried the gun back to him and he tried a go gage and the BOLT WOULD NOT CLOSE. this really bothered me but he opened the chamber a little more and then I started having problems when I chambered a round it was almost impossible to close the bolt. and after it closed the first time the bolt would close very easy till you chambered a new round. I stressed that I didn't want this rifle to be having issues closing the bolt and carried it back and he informed me that it was just the extractor going over the rim. I know this is not the case because the rifle didn't have the problem before it had the chamber opened up. I did shoot it 10 to 15 times after that in which I had a 100 barnes to shoot a 3 shot group at 100 at around a half inch. I couldn't get the issue of the bolt closing out of my mind and didn't feel safe shooting it. I got to looking through some of my brass and about half way down the case has some marks in the case. I carried the rifle back to the smith one last time and he agreed there was a problem. He took the barrel off and compared it to the factory one and said hugh I wonder why I didn't do that. He said there was a little lip that needed to be took off at the back of the barrel that he hadn't done. He put the barrel in the lay and went to town. well the end result was in my opinion is he took to much off. now where the belt goes in the chamber there is only about 1/3 of the belt that has metal around it because the rest he took off for some reason. Then when he put the barrel back on the action he tightened it down and handed it to me and said there you go it should work. He never took a go or no go gauge to see if it was right or nothing.
I now have a rifle that I am afraid to shoot and really don't even what to. What should be a 1500 to 2000 dollar rifle it a pile of crap.

I will not be caring this rifle back to him and am wondering if any gunsmith on here would be willing to take a look at it and see if they can salvage the barrel and for how much. If there is any smith on here that is willing to work with someone else's F*** up please PM me. I am not asking for any guarantee for the gun to shoot well. I just want to know that when or if I shoot the rifle it will be safe.

Call Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles....570-437-2010

He will fix the F up's by others...and make them right.

I know of one place in particualr he gets allot of work from :D....they stay with kevin after he fixes the gun that should have been right in the first place.

Working with Kevin on a Weatherby MkV based build now. He has been great to deal with thus far and I see no reason why any of that will change. Quite a few smiths want nothing to do with Weatherby rifles so finding a good smith that is willing to work on MkV's is the important part.

IMO, Kevin Cram is gtg and I'm sure he will help you resolve your problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.