Gun starting shooting poorly??

TAMUCOSC

I recently got a 300 win mag and when i got it it shot really good sub moa groups. I then installed watts bottom metal for the detachable mag and added a muzzle break. Since then the gun cannot hit a paper plate at 100 yards. The break was not timed correctly but I put a rubber o ring at the base of my barrel threading and that makes it line up perfectly straight.

I also check the action screw to make sure they're set at 55" lbs

Can anyone help me or give me tips on what to do next?

I am going to go shoot it today without the brake but I don't think that could be the problem with it being tight and snug also lined up straight.

Thanks!

I would be suspect of the muzzle brake work that was done. Adding a rubber o ring to straighten it is troublesome. Could be effecting barrel harmonics. Also make sure the barrel crown wasn't damaged during the installation process.

Something changed your old sight in point of impact. You might have to bring the target closer but try looking at your target through your barrel and see where your reticle is in relation to your barrel sight picture, similar to the video below ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TiOpQY2ORo4?t=122[/ame]

You might have to re-sight it in.

Good luck!

Check your muzzle brake to see if there are any bullet strikes isnide its bore.
Also, you may need to bed your bottom metal so your action is at rest.

Try replacing the bottom metal with the original stuff, and remove the muzzle brake. Shoot it, and if it shoots good again, then try just replacing the bottom metal and shoot it. If it shoots good, then put the brake back on. If it shoots like crap, then you have an idea it could be the brake. OR just remove the brake and shoot it without the brake to see if it shoots good with the new bottom metal. Could be a combo of both new additions causing problems.
I'm thinking that the rubber o-ring isn't going to secure the muzzle brake, and cause it to allow some type of trouble with the harmonics of the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.