Gun projects/builds going on

droptine

First off I need therapy when it comes to things that go bang.

I won a Shilen trigger at the Shilen swap meet. Needed something to do with it so decided to start on a 300 WSM. I don't have it in my hands yet but have a PTG SS barreled action on order for the 300 WSM build. 300 WSM is something I do not have. Well that's not exactly correct. About 15 years ago I had to much to drink and woke up with a NIB Browning BLR in 300 WSM 8 pound trigger and all. Not sure it counts.

I think I will buy a SS McBros and build a 6.5 PRC. It's kinda down the road but something I plan to do.

i have some Mauser projects I'm working on too. I have a few barreled actions I plan to stock. Stock making in one of my hobbies. Need a few more English Walnut stock blanks. I have barreled actions finished, 300 H&H, 338 A-Square and 9.2x62. I just remembered I have a Savage 99 barreled action in 284 win I've had for years I need to work on it but I keep getting side tracked. I plan to retire in a few months and work on gun stocks. I like a wood stocks on Mauser.

Headed to my gunsmith next week to pick up a 30/06. Weatherly Vanguard I'm having a Shilen screwed on that I bought at the Shilen swap meet a while back.

That's pretty much it other than a Mark X in 300 win mag with a Douglas Barrel that looks never fired. I plan to make a truck gun out of. Still need a few pieces.

What projects/builds you guys have going on.

They have Shilen swap meet? :eek:
Having reviewed your list of builds, I can understand why you were invited!
I have a Shilen ratchet rifled 6.5 (some kinda thing) that shoots lites out.
I just ordered a 26" bull barreled 8 twist 6BR Criterion from NSS. Just because I've never used a Criterion and they come highly recommended. It's going on a Savage LRP bedded in a McMillan. Lapua brass, Redding dies, etc. all in the mail too.
But they have a Shilen swap meet? :eek: You lucky dog.

Had a 26" proof added to rem action last year....65284...shoots okay...not my everyday walk around mountain rifle....
Just rebarreled the other 65284....was a noodle shilen 24.5"...carried well..dialed in for first shot..got a few critters with it...but fire cracking was heading north in the barrel..replaced with a proof ss 65284....shot okay...but to heavy for my pack rifle....just mailed it out to LRI for helical fluting to remove as much weight as possible....and a bolt to be fluted to look cool.....
They ought to look cool.....deer attractors.....
Even if I'm not cool.....

Last edited:
As far as the Shilen Swap meet. Shilen just lets us use the parking lot and ropes off part of the shop. They really don't put it on, just host it you might say.

the swap meet is a lot of fun . Lots of individuals with tables that are not gun show guys so it's way better than a gun show. People want to get rid of things not make a living.

Couple of things I've bought quite a few of over the years, Shilen barrels and Hogue stocks. Both are a fair price and work.

I might have the same problem you have, I'm never content. I see a good deal on a barrel, stock, action, trigger, scope or anything gun related and I have to buy it. I have at least 20 gun projects in some degree of completion. The ones that are closest to being fired are a 338 rum and a 300 prc. Here is the most recent finished project it's a m40a1 styled 223, I think it turned out beautiful I just need to go out and shoot it.

Attachments

• 29EE06CC-5717-4FEE-B088-6ABAE907FC23.jpeg
    29EE06CC-5717-4FEE-B088-6ABAE907FC23.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • 71C121A4-CA9B-42A1-AD94-6B2B56312CFA.jpeg
    71C121A4-CA9B-42A1-AD94-6B2B56312CFA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • A8F4A31D-2A3E-497C-B17C-7E83116B9809.jpeg
    A8F4A31D-2A3E-497C-B17C-7E83116B9809.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
  • 11B7B63C-67E6-4FB5-A79C-E7E50A795B79.jpeg
    11B7B63C-67E6-4FB5-A79C-E7E50A795B79.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
I'm guilty of the same !
I spend way to much time looking for parts , barrels , stocks , brass ect .
But it's been alot of fun for sure .
Most on here know my likes and I have had PM's sent asking if I'm interested in things ! Now that's over board ! Ha ha

My latest is a Stainless Remington action blued bolt , found a 24" Betten Carbon barrel in 338 Ultra mag. Picked up a Mcmillian Game Hunters Edge fill dipped in Kuiu its Sweet! The Wife already tryed to grab it for her 300 Rum ! It should be put together this week I hope !
I'm headed back to Montana to hunt with my Oldest Daughter this fall her first time out ! Dad is super excited lol
Here is a peek at the parts !

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20210702_212215.jpg
    20210702_212215.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
First off I need therapy when it comes to things that go bang.

I won a Shilen trigger at the Shilen swap meet. Needed something to do with it so decided to start on a 300 WSM. I don't have it in my hands yet but have a PTG SS barreled action on order for the 300 WSM build. 300 WSM is something I do not have. Well that's not exactly correct. About 15 years ago I had to much to drink and woke up with a NIB Browning BLR in 300 WSM 8 pound trigger and all. Not sure it counts.

I think I will buy a SS McBros and build a 6.5 PRC. It's kinda down the road but something I plan to do.

i have some Mauser projects I'm working on too. I have a few barreled actions I plan to stock. Stock making in one of my hobbies. Need a few more English Walnut stock blanks. I have barreled actions finished, 300 H&H, 338 A-Square and 9.2x62. I just remembered I have a Savage 99 barreled action in 284 win I've had for years I need to work on it but I keep getting side tracked. I plan to retire in a few months and work on gun stocks. I like a wood stocks on Mauser.

Headed to my gunsmith next week to pick up a 30/06. Weatherly Vanguard I'm having a Shilen screwed on that I bought at the Shilen swap meet a while back.

That's pretty much it other than a Mark X in 300 win mag with a Douglas Barrel that looks never fired. I plan to make a truck gun out of. Still need a few pieces.

What projects/builds you guys have going on.
Hand made stocks…. I MUST see pictures of all.
Please and thank you

I'm guilty of the same !
I spend way to much time looking for parts , barrels , stocks , brass ect .
But it's been alot of fun for sure .
Most on here know my likes and I have had PM's sent asking if I'm interested in things ! Now that's over board ! Ha ha

My latest is a Stainless Remington action blued bolt , found a 24" Betten Carbon barrel in 338 Ultra mag. Picked up a Mcmillian Game Hunters Edge fill dipped in Kuiu its Sweet! The Wife already tryed to grab it for her 300 Rum ! It should be put together this week I hope !
I'm headed back to Montana to hunt with my Oldest Daughter this fall her first time out ! Dad is super excited lol
Here is a peek at the parts !

Rum Man
That IS nice.

If my wife read this she would suggest we all get together and have an online therapy session. Not keep us from buying more gun parts for builds..................but to get over wife's selling off all the stuff we no longer shoot/hasn't been out of the safe in years!!!

Been waiting on 2 builds for over a year with back log in parts. Finally got the parts and waiting on stocks is all that is left. One is 264 Win and other is 270 WSM. Both have Carbon Six barrels, Stiller actions, McMillan Game Hunter stocks. Will be fun when finally done. My wife has horses so I get to have guns!! lol

I understand your problem and sympathize with it entirely. I won a set of valve cores for truck tires at a swap meet recently, so went out and bought a new truck. Expensive prize!

Let me know how that therapy group works out for you. If it's good, then I should look for one in my area. I'm still in denial and/or have not hit bottom, but went back to work part time to feed my obsession. I'm confident it started when I was six years old hunting with my father. After he shot a buck and ejected the brass I reached down, picked up brass, smelled the burnt gunpowder and my obsession with rifles, handguns, and eventually reloading began.

I guess I'm the same - I saw a barreled action (Interarms Mark X with a shot out .308 barrel currently on it) the other day and bought it because it was cheap! Now to decide what calibre to turn it into…!