Gun owners OK with banning ARs?

Banning ARs wouldn't stop these horrible shootings. I don't own an AR-15, I personally haven't seen a need for one. To each there own though - I have several friends who have them and take them out coyote hunting when we go. Other than my buddies being a little too quick on the trigger and missing because they "have a quick follow up shot" it hasn't bothered me(I know AR shooters aren't all bad shots, apparently my buddies are). A humble bolt action has always served me well. Would banning ARs have an impact on me right now? I don't think so, but how many years before they come knocking on my door wanting my favorite elk or coyote gun or my handguns? It is a slippery slope. I have a couple kids in Middle School right now and I have stopped and wondered if my life were directly impacted from one of these shootings would I feel differently? Who knows...maybe? I hope I don't ever have to answer that question.

Nobody talks about the mini 14's and the AK 47's - probably because the aren't being used in these shootings, but if ARs are banned there are other guns and other means to cause destruction unfortunately.

ARs and other assault looking rifles are already banned here in NY. Some have been grandfathered in through a registration process but they can't be sold or transferred to another sportsman in the state. Owning one doesn't authorize you to own another.
This ban has done nothing to stop the constant call for MORE restrictive firearm regulations in NY.

ARs and other assault looking rifles are already banned here in NY. Some have been grandfathered in through a registration process but they can't be sold or transferred to another sportsman in the state. Owning one doesn't authorize you to own another.
This ban has done nothing to stop the constant call for MORE restrictive firearm regulations in NY.

New York makes my point. The anti-gunners will never quit, so we can not give up any ground ever.

The ammunition argument is scarier than the AR argument!! These left wing morons are finally realizing ammunition is different between firearms. They figured out that the .223 Rem / 5.56 is more potent then a 9mm. There were articles proposing ammunition bans!! Could you imagine if they found out about the .30-06 or a .338 Lapua Magnum??? That's the really scary part. I agree, do not give one inch. This is a battle of ideaologies. The only way to win is to educate, train, and take the "scariness" out of exercising your rights to own a firearm to the youth of this country. It won't stop with the AR...I guarantee you that. Teach kids now or America will be governed by scared, upcoming idiots like David Hogg. This child is seriously trying to push an agenda on what rights Americans should have....

Last edited by a moderator:
What they fail to realize is that if the antis could snap their fingers and ARs were gone tomorrow they'd just move to the next firearm on the list being used in school shootings. It would be a complete domino effect. If they actually can ban the AR15 it's only the beginning.

I find it laughable though. Dianne Feinstein herself blatantly said on national television after the Nevada incident that no legislation could've stopped the murderer. Yet it was just a week or two ago she was gleefully clapping for joy beside the POTUS as he looked to her for ideas. Statistics and reasoning be damned they've made it blatantly clear they're not going to stop.

I own several...mainly because I could build them myself. They have been in the field hunting though. I've killed turkey, deer, Blackbuck, hogs, bobcats and other small varmints.

I hate the 5.56 so I don't hunt with them. Its worthless, but the libs love glorifying it as being some evil lethal caliber
My hunting AR is chambered in 7.62x39. I also hunt with a custom built AK-47.

AK-sm.jpg

Built it myself too...7.62x39 also...

I also have a SKS, M1 carbine and M1A.

You know what...I leave the safe open every once in a while when I'm cleaning guns and not one of them has ever tried to assume any one!

I'm so sick and tired of hearing the guns is the problem and no one addresses the real issue of the nut behind these guns!

I also tired of hearing the term "dangerous assult rifle". Every chance I get I sit a 5.56 beside a 300 RUM and ask the person to point out the dangerous...lethal assult rifle "bullet"...

They pick the 300 RUM every time! The next comment nearly every time is "how can that be so dangerous? "

Ask the people in Venezuela if they wish they had a few guns! Democrats want your guns for a reason...it's a stepping stone towards a life style our forefathers didn't want us to live!

The ammunition argument is scarier than the AR argument!! These left wing morons are finally realizing ammunition is different between firearms. They figured out that the .223 Rem / 5.56 is more potent then a 9mm. There were articles proposing ammunition bans!! Could you imagine if they found out about the .30-06 or a .338 Lapua Magnum??? That's the really scary part. I agree, do not give one inch. This is a battle of ideaologies. The only way to win is to educate, train, and take the "scariness" out of exercising your rights to own a firearm to the youth of this country. It won't stop with the AR...I guarantee you that. Teach kids now or America will be governed by scared, upcoming idiots like David Hogg. This child is seriously trying to push an agenda on what rights Americans should have....

http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...only-/4213-trumps-idea-arming-teachers-2.html

I am a bolt action guy. Although I own a ar 15 and a ar 10. I have never pointed either of them at anyone. Nor I ever plan too, no one will take either of them away from me. I have never been arrested and I beleive in our constitution, why am I feeling like I am in the minority??

I am a bolt action guy. Although I own a ar 15 and a ar 10. I have never pointed either of them at anyone. Nor I ever plan too, no one will take either of them away from me. I have never been arrested and I beleive in our constitution, why am I feeling like I am in the minority??

I've never pointed my AR15 at anyone, but I have pointed my M4 several times at several people. Even in those situations I never pulled the trigger. It really boggles my mind how people can do that stuff to one another.

You're definitely not the minority.

Oh man. That sounds like some stuff my dad would read. I can't get behind the conspiracy theory stuff. Photo shop and back dating / creating stories is too easy now with all the technology we have.

True story I have a friend who is missing both his legs from AFG. He got wrapped up in the Boston marathon conspiracy theories saying he was a crisis actor (he wasn't even at the marathon). To say the least it really hurt him and did nothing for the true victims of the bombing.

I will say David Hogg is an immature child trying to get his 5 mins of fame who uses disgusting, immoral, straw man arguments to blame everyone except the perpetrator, his peers for clearly messing with this kid, and his local law enforcement who failed to protect them. I mean after all the cop only had a Glock?? What could he possibly do with that??

I own AR15's, used predominately for competition and hunting. I have been able to achieve excellent accuracy and consistency using match grade barrels/chambers. Like many "myths" that exist in our sport, poor accuracy of the AR15 is one of them!!!

Shown:100 yard, 5 shot group from my 300 yard competition AR15 "Egg Shooter" that has shamed the preferred bolt rifles on many an occasion. .
B34C3FB6-753D-4F04-8A6C-AD424FDED163.jpeg

The sad part to me about all of this is the fact that this argument makes perfect sense to all of you, and to myself. And personally, I believe that it makes sense to those pushing the agenda (the liberals in Washington and legislators, as well as folks like the Sheriff in Florida). But those uneducated people out there, follow them blindly, buy into their BS. Those are the people who believe that banning guns will help.
I don't personally believe that they think that banning guns will fix anything. They know that it will only create more issues and crime. But that is what they want. They want all of us to give up our rights and freedom so that we will become reliant on them and keep them in power. Guns have nothing to do with their goals or plans. Guns only give the good people a way to fight back. It just takes away our ability to fight for our way of life. If we no longer have that, the liberals and politicians win.
If they truly believed in the garbage they spew every day, then why are all of politicians guarded and protected by armed security personnel? If guns are a problem and kill people, and if they truly believe that, then why would they want guns anywhere near them?? They want to be protected by guns, they just don't want us to be protected by them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.