Gun for my 7 year old

Great info. She has already killed a gobbler with a .410 shooting apex tss heavy shot at 27 yards. An 2 hogs with a short barrel 300 black out. She is shooting probably a 2-3" group at 100 yards with the cv 455 precision trainer. I was thinking about letting her shot her first deer with my ruger ranch rifle mini 30. But she seems to favor a lighter trigger. I have tried her on two youth model cenerfires. However with 4-5 pound trigger pull. She starts to squeeze it and stops and says Dad I think it is still on safety.

I would recommend the 6.5 Grendel. It's a hammer on deer and has next to no recoil. My wife's rifle is a 20" tc encore and I can watch the bullet impact at 25 yards. My dad used a 6.5 Grendel ar on a nice buck last year. The 123g eldm made a mess of his vitals.

Great info is the Grendel offered in a factory chambered rifle, not interested in a ar platform. Nothing wrong with them. I just would prefer not start out with a semi auto.

Great info is the Grendel offered in a factory chambered rifle, not interested in a ar platform. Nothing wrong with them. I just would prefer not start out with a semi auto.
I believe Howa has their mini action rifle chambered in the Grendel. I think CZ has one and I believe ruger has an American Predator chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

I am deeply rooted in the 270 win, but own 260, and a. 280ai. This does not compromise all my guns but everything else has a bigger hole in the barrel. Knowing what i know now, the 270 makes a good case. Jack Oconnor convinced me many years ago.

If I recal rem makes a blk our in a model 7, does that sound right? I would like to stick with a rem or clone. For the optional upgrades. Does a model 7 fit the same stock as a model 700? Also does it except the same trigger?

So for the back history. She has been shooting a cz precision trainer with a nsx 5.5x22 in a manners stock for about 6 months. It took a few days to get her dialed in on the moar retical. However she has been smoking a metal Prairie dog flipper target every shot at 100 yards. So the question is I want to set her up in a gun that has the same feel. I will prob go with a easier to understand scope. Thinking a Swarovski z8i. So all she has to do is concentrate on the little red dot. I was thinking a barreled action in a 20" tube. Then putting it in a McMillan Game warden stock. This setup could also double as a tree stand gun for me in South Georgia. What are your guys thoughts. And what would be a good gun to start with and do a stock swap?

The CZ550 comes in a wide variety of calibers and will be all but identical to what she's been shooting.

If you want something she can go ahead and use confidently on deer sized game, varmints, predators etc look at the 22-250, .220 Swift if they make one, and certainly the 6.5cm or 260 Rem.

Take a look at the VX6 with either the B&C or fire dot reticles and she'll be set for life with the same rig.

There's nothing wrong with the regular or fine duplex reticles either especially for shooting varmints and predators as you stretch out the range.

I thought we were talking Daisy Easy Rider sort of gun. I shot out a window in my parent's house with my Daisy when I was that age. Lesson learned. No wonder my Dad delayed my exposure to more powerful guns until I was older. o_O
What we were doing out the 2nd floor windows would land a kid in jail for a long time today. We were picking sparrows and crows off of highlines with .22lr's.

She might be a little young for a centerfire. She should hunt with you in the stand and observe what you do. Getting them to shoot a centerfire early in life may cause a flich that is hard to get rid of. It is a long step from a 22lr to even a 223 which personally i think is too small in caliber for deer. You might try a 243 and get some reduced loads that will not kick worse than a 223.
Not really. We started my neices at the same age with a Ruger M77 .220 Swift and they barely weighed 50lbs a piece.

We even had them shooting 9mm, 38sp, and .40 S&W while sitting in our laps.

Great info. She has already killed a gobbler with a .410 shooting apex tss heavy shot at 27 yards. An 2 hogs with a short barrel 300 black out. She is shooting probably a 2-3" group at 100 yards with the cv 455 precision trainer. I was thinking about letting her shot her first deer with my ruger ranch rifle mini 30. But she seems to favor a lighter trigger. I have tried her on two youth model cenerfires. However with 4-5 pound trigger pull. She starts to squeeze it and stops and says Dad I think it is still on safety.
There's a way to rework that trigger.

On another note the CZ527 comes in .204 Ruger which is a dream to shoot and absolute hell on varmints and predators.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.