Gun case for flying.

Blacklab1

I did a search but didn't really find an answer. What's everyone using for a case for flying with long guns? I'm going to Canada bear hunting in a few months and need a case that can withstand airline abuse. I've never needed a hard case before, my Drag bag always worked fine for what I do. I was thinking about the Pelican 1750. Any input good or bad? Any other suggestions?

I have a SKB double that has wheels on one end. Search LRH, be prepared to read for hours on cases flying. One recommendation that I will never go without is place a GPS tag in the case that you can track off your phone. You will know where your rifle case is although the airlines may not. I also used HVAC zip ties that are impossible to break without knife. Use your own locks.

Also, place your itinerary in the gun case. I zip tie an actual address tag with address and phone number zip tied to trigger guard. I also place a trigger lock on rifle as well.

Use indestructible name tags on the case secured with the toughest method you can come up with. I print my name address on case with paint pen, clear tape over it to protect it further. Photograph everything! Going to Canada? I would also carry copy of bill of sale for rifle and scope. Same for rangefinder.

Harbor Freight's Apache case is great. I have a couple pelicans and a couple Apaches. Given the price difference and the quality of the Apaches I won't buy more Pelicans. The latch on the Pelicans is a little more secure, but not enough to keep the case closed in an airplane.

Regardless of what you choose, get some non- TSA locks with shackles that are snug on the locking holes and bring some large zip ties to put around the whole thing.

Hey, I use a tuffpak. Great thing is that it doesn't look like a gun case. I've put three guns in it with soft cases on them and it's still under 50lbs. Most times it's just two guns, boots and some other clothes. Website: https://nalpak.com/tuffpak. I've been using it for close to 20 years. I bought the version with wheels and I bought the canvas bag that slides into it also. It's been on some great trips!!
Take Care

Unless you plan on flying often, just borrow a case from a buddy. Why buy a high-priced case and have it collect dust for the next 10 years? I bought an SKB 2-gun case but very rarely fly because it's too difficult to get all the game meat back. I bought a 5'x8' enclosed trailer which I use much more.

I found once I had a nice hard case my canvas cases have stayed home even on a mild trip to camp or range.
The single cabela's ones are a great value just annoying closures. To fly I have a pelican (double) or gun vault (long single)

Here is thread to check out. Ricky C suggested a Tuffpak 1050. This is the case I will be purchasing. I can put my rifles in it and pack clothing in there also, and the biggest thing that drew me to this case is it doesn't look like a gun case. I didn't want possible thieves knowing what was in the case. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/hard-case-recommendations.310433/

Thanks for everyone's response. The tuffpac looks intriguing. Wish there was one somewhere that I could actually get my hands on rather then going by pictures.