Guidance

EFR

I just found this forum a day or two ago and am impressed with all the information you gentlemen possess. I'm looking for your collective recommendations on a western elk and deer rifle. I just got back from my first successful elk hunt, and I got bit by the bug bad. I want to go again and again and again. I would like to either buy or build a fairly long range elk/deer rifle. As far as long range is concerned, I'd like to be able to shoot as far as possible, with a realistic limit of 500+/-yds. I have access to a 600m range and know practice is key. My questions to you folks are several; what caliber would you recommend? I do not reload rifle cartridges (only volume handgun), so I am limited to factory ammo. I have considered the 7mm reg mag, 7 wsm, 7stw, 300win mag, 300wsm, and 300rum. As far as rifles go, I am also very open minded and in need of advice. Do I buy new or build? I like the kimber montana a lot-I have heard they are accurate and certainly are easy to lug up mountains, but I think when the time to shoot arrives, a heavier rifle would be easier and more stable to shoot. I have researched the Sendero SFII to no end (I am a huge 700 fan), especially in 300rum, but I don't know how much fun this will be to lug up and down mountains all day. I have a 700ADL in 30-06 I bought years ago as a back-up rifle. I mounted a scope, sighted it in, and it has sat in the safe for years, so if I decide to build, I have a receiver at the ready. You folks have done this kind of hunting and are doing it presently. What do you think?
Thanks,
Erik

Last edited:
I would go with the 7 MM STW but then again I'm biased.=QUOTE]

HR, you stole my line.

I agree, 7 STW! (<---- Biased as Well.)

Whatever you get, I would suggest you start to reload. If you load for handgun, I'm sure you already have a bench.

If you going to practice a lot, the factory will get $$$$.

As much as I like the 7mm stw. I like the 7 WSM & 300 WSM too. Great round for what your after within 500 yards. 300 WSM with 180 Accubonds or 160 Accubonds in 7mm should do the job.

No need to go with 300 ultra mag stuff or bigger for your ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.