GS bullet users....

41mag

I know that there are some here who have and do use the GS Custom bullets. I am reaching sort of an impass with the loads that the grandson is using for hunting. As of now he is shooting the 125gr Nosler BT's with a reduced load. However, I personally feel the 125gr just really isn't going to hang in there on anything too big at the ranges he is starting to shoot. I am wanting to up the weight on him but still keep the recoil down to his level, without working the rifle over.

I contacted Gerard the other day about using his 130gr HV due to the velocities we are sort of constrained to. He said that this bullet should be the ticket for what I am looking to do. Since it is driven on the bands instead of the full bearing surface I could up the velocity some with out over powering the boy.

I am looking for your opinions on how good these bullets actually are before I dump the bucks into them and work up a new load. Do they expand reliably at the lower velocities and is the felt recoil actually somewhat noticable when using them?

At this point I am just looking to try and give him something with a little more thump that will hopefully hold together and penetrate a hog out past 100yds. I know that the Noslers will work up close but they drop off fast in reliable penetration after about 75yds for the hogs. Since we will be shooting them a lot more than deer, I figured I might need to step up the weight, and construction. I have tried a couple of other 130gr bullets but find that he really gets rocked more than he wants to be. Just hoping for something in between.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks

There has been a lot of hype about these GS bullets. Hype is all it is in my opinion. They don't kill anything any deader any faster any better than any other quality bullet. I noticed also the coating on them was wearing off on one that a buddy had in his pocket. Spend the bucks if you want to, but you would save money and aggravation using a "regular" bullet like the Accubond. mtmuley

I used the GS customer 150gr HV for a couple of seasons in my 308Win. Was running at about 2650ft/s (mild load). My 110 pound wife used it to comfortably shoot a number of different game species in a light weight BDL rem. During the couple of seasons that we used the bullets we managed to shoot everything from Springbuck (50 pound antelope) through to Oryx (couple of hundred pounds). As a comparison both a friend and I shot Oryx bulls in the Kalahari. Both shots where at approx. 250 yards. He was using 180gr Nosler partitions in a 30-06. I used my 308Win with 150gr GS custom. Although the shot placement wasn't the same (he took out both shoulders, I had a quartering away shot, placing the bullet behind the shoulder and breaking the far shoulder) the Nolser did not exit the Oryx, while the GS custom did. With regards expansion I have no idea as we have never recovered any bullets.

In my experience from the 15 odd animals that have been shot with the GS custom bullets I would not hesitate to recommend them on hogs or bigger.

I eventually changed to SMk's because of reliable ballistics software, BC's ....

pvanwyk,

Thanks for the info. The load we are using is definately reduced with a starting velocity of only around 2200 fps. In talking with Gerard he said that testing he has done showed full petal expansion with impact velocities down to around 1650fps. Just wanted to get some first had experience with them before ordering them. Our max range for hunting will be only 150 or so yards due to the velocity and energy aspects of the load. I am hoping that with the GS I can up both some, and still keep him from developing a flinch from the recoil.

dbhostler, mtmuley,

I understand and appreciate your points as well, however we are not talking about the same things here. I have every 130gr bullet made by a major company and even some customs, the fact remains that the recoil when using them is just too much for the 5 1/2yr old shooting them. I am simply looking at the GS bullets due to the driving bands used in their construction hopefully allowing me to up the velocity a bit as well as the weight, and still maintain a shootable hunting load for the boy. The last thing I want to have to do is head off into the brush looking for an upset hog sporting hardware like this or bigger,
A070-1.jpg

Again thanks for the info, but I am really only concerned with using the GS bullet for this purpose, and any practical experience with them.

I'm not sure how you can up the velocity and reduce recoil at the same time. Reduced friction bullets (such as moly coated, blue coated Barnes, etc) typically require more powder to reach the same velocity as a regular bullet of the same weight. That's been my experience. That means more recoil (though only very slightly so).

What they offer is the potential for more velocity at a given maximum pressure level. In other words, if you crank it up you'll be able to push them faster than other 130's before you run into pressure signs. But that doesn't help recoil.

So, I don't see you gaining much in that area. Not in a significant or even noticable amount.

However, I do believe they'll give you good penetration and terminal performance for their weight. Good enough to be worth the cost and hassle of getting them will be up to you to decide.

Mike you thought about using a 100-120 gr X bullet?

You could get more FPS with less recoil

And I know youve seen what a solid copper will do and Id bet on end to end on a hog

What cal is his rig?

Thanks for that lil box by the way got it last night!

I'm not sure how you can up the velocity and reduce recoil at the same time. Reduced friction bullets (such as moly coated, blue coated Barnes, etc) typically require more powder to reach the same velocity as a regular bullet of the same weight. That's been my experience. That means more recoil (though only very slightly so).

What they offer is the potential for more velocity at a given maximum pressure level. In other words, if you crank it up you'll be able to push them faster than other 130's before you run into pressure signs. But that doesn't help recoil.

So, I don't see you gaining much in that area. Not in a significant or even noticable amount.

However, I do believe they'll give you good penetration and terminal performance for their weight. Good enough to be worth the cost and hassle of getting them will be up to you to decide.

Jon,

Your absolutely correct and sort of to sum up what I am hoping for is that I might be able to get them up to, or even a slightly higher velocity than the 125's are, and still not bother him much with the recoil. It is sort of a toss up I am aware, and the only true way yo know is to get some down range. My reason for choosing this bullet in particular is that the driving bands shouldn't create as much drag as a solid bullet, and being coated I understand that they will have to have more powder. I am hopeful that they will also shoot up to his potential.

Nyles,

He is shooting a Ruger Compact in .308 which weighs 6.5lbs with a loaded magazine. The short stock and the added eye relief of the 1.5 - 6 scope seem to be made for him. Yea I thought about the lighter bullets as well but would rather go heavier than lighter, especially for the hogs. I have the 125gr -X on hand but they just didn't shoot very well with this load.

Glad you got the package, hope it serves you well. I will try to get the rest headed your way ASAP.

Last edited:
Roll-Yur-Own,

Thanks for the link. I checked them out a while back and if memory serves in order to get a custom weight or one not listed, I would need to order a minimum of 5 boxes. Don't quote me on that as I have cleard out a ton of email lately and couldn't find theirs. I had contacted them a while back in reguards to bsaically the same weight bullet (130) for my TC 30-30AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.