GS bullet antelope hunting.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by RockyMtnMT, Oct 16, 2009.

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Promised that I would give a report on my antelope hunt using the GS 177gr .308.

I shot 2 does. One at 650yrds and another at 762yrds. My drops were right on with the drop charts using the advertised bc's.

Had a discussion w/ Gerrard of GS bullets and he explained to me the difference between the old style bullets and the new style. The old style the first drive band is a vertical standoff from the shaft. The new, incorporates the 1st drive band as part of the flare of the ogive.

[​IMG]

So far the new ones that we have shot run with the advertised bc's.

Steve

PS
    The terminal performance was as I expected from prior use.

2. BryanLitz

BryanLitz <b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>

Also looks like the Boat Tail on the new design is MUCH better; it looks far too steep on the old one.

Overall it's a very good looking bullet.

How was the terminal performance?

3. RockyMtnMT

Bryan,

The terminal performance was good. As well as I can tell on a small animal like antelope. My 650 yrd shot missed the pump house and went through the gut. She never moved though, just laid down. No complaints. No blood shot that I have experienced with other bullets.

I will be headed out on an elk hunt and mule deer hunt in a week for a couple weeks. We will be using the 177g .308, and 110g .264 GS HV bullets. This trip will give much better info. I will get pics this time.

Thanks,

Steve

4. MSU Marksman

MSU Marksman Well-Known Member

Was that the SP or HV style bullet for the .308?

5. RockyMtnMT

HV. The SP does not have any expansion ability.

Steve