Grouping with 300 wby

TDUFF

Hey all

I purchased a 300 wby in vanguard model. I bought it used from a local man who knows his way around a guns. He bedded the stock already in the process of building a long range rifle but decided to sell it and go with another caliber. He only fired five rounds through the gun and I have fired 50 more through it.. The scope is a red field that he put on it I don't know the exact model, that will be changed to either a nightforce or vortex in the next few months. The issue I have is I can not get a solid group out of it. I had a couple groups with in 3 inches at 200 yards witch if fine with me given my shooting is done free hand. Next thing I know I'm low then high and my group went from 3 inches to who knows. So I go back to 100 yards and I'm shooting 6inch circles around the center. After that I have not been able to get it to group again. My thoughts are maybe the scope has an issue so o haven't shot it since but if there's any other ideas to help with my grouping I'm all ears. I also considered selling it and getting a 300wby in mark v thinking maybe it is a little more precise.

Thanks Trell

My suggestions is to get the bore scoped and evaluated by a competent gunsmith. This sounds just like what happened with my Accumark. The accuracy gradually got worse and worse. Scoping the bore could save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Trell, perhaps after the bore scoping if the barrel is good try a cleaning. Did you clean the barrel during the 50 rounds fired? Which stock does it have? The 300 Wby has heavy recoil which is tough on scopes and loose mounts, perhaps a check would be in order. Lots of questions to answer. Also if the smith diagnoses the barrel is the problem, a rebarrel in a heavier and longer one is far less than a Mark V. Good luck

Run this load it is below max book load. 79.0 H4831 cci250 serria 165gk or 168 mk either works. On once fired wby brass. If it dances all over your scope or bedding is at issue. This load shot well in many different chambers for me. It was the standard load for the shop testing we did when I worked there.

I had a Weatherby Vanguard s2 range certified, and tried everything, including a trip back to WBY, and they said that they got it to shoot sub MOA with a 165 Gr. TTSX WBY round. These cartridge are $94/box and impossible to find. Not to mention that I didn't buy a 300WBY to shoot 165 gr anything. I tried extensive reloading, and ladder tests, and finally gave up when I only found a load that was so reduced, I might as well be shooting a 30-06. I traded it in on a more efficient, predictable rifle by a company not named WBY. I don't often post negative stuff, nor was I looking for super finite accuracy, but this rifle was very dissapointing. I would advise you to limit your exposure to spending a bunch of money on ammo. If some of the other loading suggestions don't yield really good results, I would take a step back and reevaluate. Last consideration...I did a proper break-in on the rifle, ans only used factory WBY ammo and then reduced loads on a reloading basis trying to find the accuracy nodes. I had about 120 rounds down the pipe, and when i sent the rifle in, WBY noted that there was already signs of throat erosion......

Thanks for all the replies I will start going through the list and see if I can't get her running right. The gun was cleaned after every 10 round shot and is spotless as we speak. The stock is just the synthetic that it came with. By free hand I mean sitting on the ground rested on my knee. Again thanks for for all the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts