300 wby problem

guide4u

I have a factory Remington 700 chambered for 300 wby. 24" 10 twist looks goo, bought used no history. Friend had one that shot very well so I got one. worked on loads and all were fair to good .75 - 1.5 at 100 yards. then I went to 212 Hornady ELDX with 80gr. 7828 and got it to shoot .5 or better except for a flyer in any direction about 1to 11/2 in off. why with once fired brass, cci 250 neck sized only. free floated in plastic or syn. stock.

Flyer at beginning, middle or end of groups? Bedded wood, laminate or composite stocks are much more conducive for consistency. Plastic stocks are full of movement and can't be bedded since epoxy won't stick to plastic.

Flyer at beginning, middle or end of groups? Bedded wood, laminate or composite stocks are much more conducive for consistency. Plastic stocks are full of movement and can't be bedded since epoxy won't stick to plastic.

Yep... +1

If you're getting consistency, then a flier, I'd lean towards stock/bedding/free-floating the barrel.

How do I know what the stock is made of? There is no beding in the stock, barrel is free floating in the stock. Did Remington use plastic stocks on factory rifles?

How do I know what the stock is made of? There is no beding in the stock, barrel is free floating in the stock. Did Remington use plastic stocks on factory rifles?
Easy - if it's not a wood stock, it's plastic. Remington has used them for years and sold millions of them. If it's black and lightweight, then you've proved it is plastic. Post a picture if you want verification.

You would do much better with a laminate stock or a fiberglass (Bell & Carlson, H&S, McMillan, etc) stock.

4u, if you are considering a stock change, there is a huge price range along with wait time with some. You can get a nice laminate for about $150 TYD and sky the limit for a carbon fiber/fiberglass.

I like the light weight but don't want to spend a lot of money. Laminated stocks are mostly heavy? What Is good in under $300.00 or am I being too cheap.

4u, the Bell&Carlson Medalist is under $300 TYD. Carbon fiber/fiberglass with aluminum bedding block. More common colors ship in a few days. If you aren't in a hurry, the other colors can take 4-6 weeks. Like all stocks, these should be bedded also. Good luck

don't mean to hijack thread but im interested in the differences of advice you would give depending on where the flyers are in your shot string. I have a newer savage that is having flyer issues but honestly I haven't paid much attention to which part of the string the flyer comes in at. I would like to know what your answers would be if the flyer was at the beginning, middle, or end of the shot string. Thanks!

Big, flyers beginning or middle of a group is usually on the shooter. I've seen tight barrel channels throw a flyer when barrel heats. To be honest the number of flyer causes is infinite. Since so many rifles are sold with Tupperware stocks, that is the first cause I thought of. Personally, replacing plastic with a higher quality bedded stock has always improved groups providing rifle has been checked for mechanical issues prior.

Have ordered a Bell & Carlson stock, if it doesn't help I have another 700 Remington that could use a upgrade. Headed to work in the wilderness for the summer so shooting is going to take a back seat for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.