Grandma went and did it now, whitetails beware!

Ridge Runner

as you all know, I have a 10 yo daughter, she's hunted with me since age 4, she loves squirrel, rabbit, and groundhog hunting. She's deer hunted with me alot but never was interested in actually shooting a deer, she likes the tracking, gutting, dragging and all but just never wanted to shoot one. well grandma changed all that by putting a bounty on them. The only thing she likes better than hunting is shopping at tractor supply.
Thur. eve, grandma asked her to kill her a deer, she said she didn't think so, grandma said I'll give you that gun grandpa gave me if you kill me a deer, "grandma, I got alot of guns (4), she replied", "ok, grandma said, I'll give you that gun, ( savage 110 wood/blue 250/3000 savage NIB) and I'll buy your deer from ya for 25 dollars" that did it.
Now these does have been hunted hard for 2 weeks, not really easy to get a 10 yo close enough for a well placed shot, after seeing a bunch of deer fri eve with no success, this morning it was +7 degrees, but she was determined, we sat on a good crossing till 8:20, seeing nothing, she said "daddy, I'm really cold" so we went back to the truck and drove to another hunting area warming up along the way. we got out and were walking down an old road, 80 yards ahead I see a doe looking at us from the field edge, at least she's broadside I think as I pull her up and say deer at the edge of the next field just to your left, hold tight behind the shoulder, she raised the rem 7615 223, aims a bit, and bang/flop. I'm thinking boy those 55 gr sp's are hard on them in the lungs, I say now see what happens when you listen to daddy and shoot where I tell ya, she was grinning from ear to ear, I thought something was up.well here's the bullet entrance
lastday08001.jpg

I see it and ask her if thats where I told her to shoot, being the rebel like me, her response was: "well you tell me to shoot squirrels in the head and they're way smaller!"
what could I say? we had a talk about what would have happened if she would have pulled just a bit, but she said the crosshair was steady and she felt good about the shot.
lastday08002.jpg

So the kid has another deer rifle!

RR

You've got a huntin' buddy that can shoot! Thanks much for sharing, you and your little girl have a lot of great memories to make. God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Great story!

I am getting worried though because it seems that the successful turkey hunters are wearing pink shirts and the successful deer hunters are wearing pink pants. I guess I will need to get some new accsessories for my wardrobe.

well bob, she had allready shucked her insulated coveralls and boots, but mom wanted pics.
I just can't wait till next year when she says, get your big Kirby gun out of the safe and get me some jerky meat, I'll hand her her savage 250/3000 and tell her she knows how!
RR

Maurice Chevalier sang "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" I agree!! and you sure got a good one.

Cute as a bug's ear, and a bit of the old man's attitude.:)

That's a real good hunting story! I did surely enjoyed reading it. Did grandma pay the $25.00?

Thanks for sharing!!

Yea, thats what I want to know, did gramma pay up? Reminds me of a very simular story regarding my youngest boy some 19 years ago now.

Thanks for sharing the story and the photo. The memories will last a lifetime for all of you, including gramma.

Tell your daughter congratulations.

Great story!

I am getting worried though because it seems that the successful turkey hunters are wearing pink shirts and the successful deer hunters are wearing pink pants. I guess I will need to get some new accsessories for my wardrobe.
I thouhgt the dress code was green scocks and under wear congrads to your dauter nice shoot my gole is to mount a deer with 1 of my arrows in its eye

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.