Went target shooting and guess what?

Nope... mom was near by and very aware of what was going on. For the first coupe of weeks Does stay close to their fawns but not with them so that they can get away quickly, drawing predators away from the easy meal.

Good to hear Mom wasn't far away. I also heard about touching them and leaving a human scent will cause mom to abandon...don't know if it's true or not. Maybe someone here can confirm or not.

Hard to say about what mother will do. Their sense on smell is incredible. The mother identifies her young by the smell of her own milk passing through the fawn and she knows it is hers. They will smell the human scent for sure. What she does from there is hard to say. I dont think the results would be the same in every instance. But I was told at a young age to never handle young animals for this reason too.

Jeff

My buddy mentioned that since the fawns were within 15 yards of my trailer which is covered with human sent so the mother must not mind. This morning I called the farmers wife who has been keeping a look out to see what was going to happen. While I was talking to her she said that the doe was right where we left the little ones and she was seen there about 3 times each day.

This also makes me feel good too. :)

joseph

Cute little bugger. +1 with being told not to touch em for the same reasons already mentioned, but sounds like it turnned out ok. Cool pics.

I did some research projects on deer a couple years ago while at school. We handled fawns frequently to gather data and put tags on a few. Over the summer none of the does abandoned the the fawns. Their maturnal instincts continue to drive then to take care of the fawn. All the fawns we tagged were later seen with their mothers doing just fine. It was the coolest job I will probably ever have.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.