got new barrel, are those tool-marks?

Jinx-)

OK check this out got new barrel replacement for tomato stake I had before, this one is one of those high end makers should be hand-lapped, but I'm puzzled looking inside of it, take a look...

cbi6br1.jpg

cbi6br2.jpg

cbi6mmnorma1.jpg

should I expect great accuracy from it, or send it back ?

Last edited:
Just lookin' at the ends tells very little as they are trimmed off before chambering and crowning. What lies another inch or so further into the tube would be what matters.

farther down its all smooth and polished, but the first inch from the muzzle has marks

I'm assuming this is just a barrel blank and not a pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrel. The blank will get at least 1" cut off the muzzle end and the chamber end will get opened up by the reamer. It's hard to tell by the photos but it will probably be fine after it's cut and crowned.

its pre-trheaded and pre-chambered with crown in place for savage target action

Using a piloted tool to cut the crown will leave some tracks, they are usually superficial but look bad since they are on a smoother surface. I would contact the barrel manufacture and get the story from the horses mouth!

Check the WHOLE length of the barrel with a bore scope, if it looks like that send it back. Sometimes the pilot on a crowning tool will make marks like that and the operator of the tool if at fault. It happens and it can be repaired by cutting off the barrel a inch or so. If the WHOLE bore looks like that chances that it will shoot are slim to none. I have one like that, we use it for a high lift jack handle. A $320 high lift jack handle.

I left message and was contacted, the guy told me he inspected that barrel before it left shop, also I was told no pilot was used to cut crown and something about nylon plug which might left those marks, that's sound weird... I was told to go out and shoot it and if its bad send it back. I offered to show pictures what my barrel looks like, but he showed no interest in them...

I actually bought 2 barrels from them with different calibers, one 26" varmint another 30" bull contour, the varmint is great I couldn't find anything which would point to tool marks, but bull barrel has that weird stuff at the end of it. I inspected both chambers and they look great with nice finish, throats nicely done one both. Those marks at the end of the bull barrel are not very deep and probably will get worn out after I complete its break in, I hope ;-).

Last edited:
Saw the same thing in what I would bet is the same brand from the same and only source for them. It was a 300wm. Showed the same marks but only within about an inch from the crown. Didn't even see them before shooting. I doubt you'll see any issues. The barrel I used didn't. It was grouping about 1/2 MOA within 8 shots and didn't seem to foul badly. I'm sure it is mostly cosmetic so go shoot and enjoy.

Yeah I'll give them both a try a soon as resin cures, post results later, I still have to load for both calibers...

got a chance to shoot it today, or break in. I did one shot clean, first shot was trapping copper right where scratches are, I did few passes with KG-2 and copper vanished quickly after 3rd shot clean with KG-2 scratches were no longer visible, after 5th shot I stopped doing break and fired 5 5-shot groups, the best group I got was 0.192 and worst 0.56", that's without any load development. I think I might tweak those loads to get tighter groups. I'll post picture of the muzzle after I remove carbon then after I clean it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.