Got my 200 grain ELDXs today

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Might be a while before I get any of these loaded but the nose is quite a bit shorter than I thought they'd be. With the long body and shorter nose, they definitely are not a good 308 win option. The 208 actually loads and fits better. I think the 178 will be the ticket there. On the bright side, you can jam them into the lands on a factory 700 300 win with room to spare!

Might be a while before I get any of these loaded but the nose is quite a bit shorter than I thought they'd be. With the long body and shorter nose, they definitely are not a good 308 win option. The 208 actually loads and fits better. I think the 178 will be the ticket there. On the bright side, you can jam them into the lands on a factory 700 300 win with room to spare!

I plan to run them in WSM. I think they'll be a good fit running around 3k with the .626 BC. It's sounds to me like I'll be able to get them close to the lands at mag length.

I don't see how a bullet with a .630" bearing surface length and a .700" long nose will be a good fit in a short action cartridge. I've tried to find one I liked.

I don't see how a bullet with a .630" bearing surface length and a .700" long nose will be a good fit in a short action cartridge. I've tried to find one I liked.

I guess I'll have to try it out and see. The first thing I plan to do is measure them to verify the dimensions. I don't trust what I've seen on the interwebs about the physical dimensions of these bullets.

My current favorite is the Berger 230 OTM. My thinking is that if I can get the 230s to the optimum seating depth and maintain mag function, the Hornady 200's should fit and function well. My allowed COAL is just over 3.00"

I haven't measured the noses yet but I don't think they're .700" long. One thing is for sure, they're not optimum for short action cartridges especially if they have short throats. The 200 hybrid works well with short action cartridges as the nose is very long and the bearing surface is quite a bit shorter. You can seat them at 2.975" to fit a Wyatt box and have only a little more than the boat-tail past the neck and not have to jam them. Same thing with the 208 amax. The 200 ELDX on the other hand has a lot of bullet in the case to not have to be jammed. even if you jam them, there is still a large percentage of bullet in the case.

I got screwed by Midway
They sent my ELD-X bullets "Sure Post" instead of Priority Mail ...... usually takes 2 weeks longer
Won't be testing the 200 gr ELD-X on a cow moose because of that , my daughters tag expires on Christmas Day, gonna use something else on Monday ..... xxx#v*#%^*+=FR !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.