Got a lizard... From Kirby!!

It was brought to my attention my initial post might not have been entirely appropriate. I have edited it.

I had just made a 16 hour drive home after a five week abscence, had been up for 36+ hours, and my brain was somewhere else.

I offer my apologies.

Very nice custom job Grit!

Love the floor plate and the bolt design is very cool. Your green lizard makes me want to start up a new project.

Cheers

Got to the range this evening.

I did this with a TON of help from members here.

Kirby built a superb rifle. 308 Nate (and 284 Liz?) added some nice touches. Plus, he taught me to shoot in North Dakota wind (makes shootin' at home like spittin' on the sidewalk). 7mmrhb gave me a lesson in brass prep. Goodgrouper helped me do the loadwork.

The range. The far line of brush is 1160 yards.
102_0874.jpg

After verifying 100 yard zero, I shot two of Bob Cauterucios bullets into phone books at 500 yards. Good performance there.

Then, I shot at 806. There's a bullet hole in a plasma cut bottom right. This was my sighter. I made an adjustment and quickly fired a three shot group. This is what I saw at the plate. The Dakota case is 2.5" tall. These things are hitting HARD at 800.
102_0879.jpg

I was pretty happy with that performance. Next, I moved my plate to 1016. My sighter went 2" to the right of the plate. I made my adjustment and quickly sent three downrange. The plate was still swinging gently for shots two and three. This is what I saw on the plate.
102_0878.jpg

This made me grin! Next, I backed the plate to the edge of the brush. My sighter was again just off the right side. I adjusted, and quickly sent three flying. I saw one and two hit. But, I didn't know about # three. This is what waited at the plate.
102_0877.jpg

I don't usually shoot groups. This was just to test my loads at range. I think the load is working. I make no claims to be able to do this all the time. But, three hummers in a row is pretty darn sweet when load testing!

Thanks. You're dead right about that. I shot another group at 1016 with dad this morning. This is the only group shot. First round hit steel so I quickly sent two more. Now, I'm not dellusional about this type of shooting. But, SWEET!!
102_0881.jpg

Grit,
That is some MIGHTY fine shootin' I'm afraid you don't have a whole lot to look forward to in the future as far as besting that group, cause that's pretty much as good as it gets.:D

Looking forward to reading about some long range kills now:D

All the best,
308nate

Hey Grit: congratulations!!! Really nice looking and great shooting rig!!!
So you mean something like this, is what you suggest.
Those groups at that distance is awesome. Hard for a trophy to hide now:D:D:D
Good luck hunting with itgun)

Last edited:
Grit,
Sorry I am late to post. Great looking rig, and the way you are shooting it is fantastic. As Nate said, not much room for improvement at this point. Could get boring for you shooting those kind of groups on a regular basis.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.