Got a lizard... From Kirby!!

grit

I've been waiting for this work of art! To amuse myself while waiting I've been trying to come up with a name. I've decided this is a lizard, with a tongue of flame. I can now start all my hunting stories with, "So, I whupped out my Lizard"..... She is a flawless beauty!! THANKS KIRBY!

102_0826.jpg

7mm Dakota, Lilja #6, Manners GAT, DE brake, Jewell trigger, Seekins rings and mounts, and of course the NXS.

I happened to get her while I was working for Nate at SSG. I was able to add a nice bolt knob Nate helped me design.
102_0828.jpg

Nate and Liz at SSG came up with this engraving on the floorplate for a very sweet personal touch. THANKS!! I love it!!

So far I've only broken in the barrel and shot one group. Sub .5 with zero development. I know she'll shoot like a dream!

Last edited:
That is one fine rifle, so is the coffee table. Did you build the table?
I also like the floorplate
Brent

Last edited:
Hey Brent,
I did build the coffee table. Thanks for the compliment.

Len,
Have you shot Bobs 189's? If so, what twist?

Eddy, Thanks, I agree!!

Grit, what can I tell you, she is beautiful. Keep us informed as you develop a load for it.

Grit, did you ever finished building that house in reno? Are you still working near by?

Eaglet, I finished the Reno project around November. I've actually been up working for Nathan Dagley in North Dakota.

I agree, she's beautiful! She turned out exactly as I'd hoped. I'll put up some groups soon. I actually left my dies at Nates (1000+ miles away) last night. DOH!

Call it a sickness. Maybe it's just me, but I could look at nice rifles all day long.

Thanks for sharing.

The cartridge is a bit on the small side:D:D Other than that, ya best keep in the safe.:)

Pretty nice rig.

I'm considering that model of stock for a build but wonder about that hook on the bottom. Your feelings????

grit, I have not shot the 189's but my feeble memory tells me that they are the same length as the 176. The greater weight is from the non-lead guts which gives it a higher density. Please measure the length and I will compare it to my 176's. Twist requirements are related only to length, not weight. In which case the normal twist would be 9. In recent years I have been using 8.75 or 8.5 to be totally sure in all atmospheric situations such as extreme cold at lower altitudes when the air is most dense.

Ballistic effects on twist

Len,
The 189 is 1.541. .031 over the 180 berger. I could make a story out of it, but my barrel is a 9 twist. I still expected the 189 to shoot. However, I tried two groups at Nates that went three inches at 100! The bergers went under .5. Home is several thousand feet higher than Nates. I'll see if they shoot differently here. I'm guessing they are under stabilized. Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.

Roy,
I'm basically a consevative guy. She'll reach over a mile! I could burn more powder and make more noise, but why?? I'll build a real hammer too someday! I'll gaurd her close. But this one aint livin' in the safe!

As for the stock, it is as close to my idea of ideal as I've seen anywhere. The hook does feal a little tight. I believe it's due to the sharp angle of the hook. It is not an issue in any way.

Nate, You come up with that paint and you can retire!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.