Good weekend shooting coyotes

Timberbeast7

My calling partner and I headed out Sunday to whack some yotes. Wind was blowing pretty hard (15-20 mph) with some light snow/sleet mixed in. We spot the first dog heading into a draw adjacent to the one we were calling, so we moved our set and started calling. She came in to about 175 yds but got suspicious and started to slowly move away (trot, stop, look, trot, stop, look). When she got to about 250-300 yds I decided she probably wasn't going to change her mind and come in so when she stopped to look again I held the crosshairs (200 yd zero) about 2 inches over her back, right about were the tail meets the body (I was shootin perpendicular to the wind). The 55 gr blitzking from my 22-250 hit her in the front shoulder and she dropped.
coyote2.jpg

Later, we spotted another about a half mile away in a field mousing. We set up and started the distress call. I was set up about 100 ft. down wind of my partner, who was calling. The dog immediately turned her head and started in on a fast trot. She got to about the 100yd mark and turned to start her circle downwind. At about 80 yards she stopped to try and pinpoint the noise and another 55 gr blitzking ruined this dogs day.
coyote1.jpg

We saw quite a few dogs, got outsmarted by a couple and passed by right before dark by a big male with a gimp leg. He trotted across the field at about 500 yds and into a swale in the field, out of which he didn't come. Right before dark we saw two more heading out of the swale so we figure there must have been a carcass they were feeding on, thus the reason the first one passed by as we were calling.
coyote3.jpg

Thanks for the write-up and pics. Looks like a fun day of yote blasting.:D

I and my buddy mo30284 always try to get in a little coyote hunting every time we go out West. I can't imagine any better long range pratice.gun)

Yeah, it was fairly cold...somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees with the wind blowing hard and sleet coming down. Reminds me of a quote from a coyote video while they were hunting in similar conditions....."You don't have to be crazy to be a coyote hunter.....but it helps!":D It doesn't seem to bother the yotes much, they get hungry no matter what the weather is doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.