Good spotting scopes $500 and under

meatyrem

Looking for good spotting scopes preferably straight with at least 60-65mm and at least a max power of 45-48x. I would really like to have one that goes up to 60x though. Any suggestions? I looked at the vortex nomad 20-60x60 and that is about exactly what I'm looking for. I had a Simmons 20-60x60 for many years up until a few years ago. It did not have clear image at that higher power and the quality overall was very poor, but I didn't complain much because it was a gift. Another one that has had my eye on it for a while is the Nikon spotter XL2. I like the straight through design on that one but I would like feedback on it from anyone who has experience with it. But as always any suggestions would be great too.

C O shooter. That was the first one I had my eye on. And I am thinking that is what I really am looking for. The power and size. How is it at higher power, does it stay clear at the higher end of the power?

Gamehawker. I really like the viper model too. And it is a big contender but I think I am wanting to lean towards one with a little more power than the 45x. Will that 45x be enough for most situations? I really like the viper but I want to be sure that the 45x will be enough which is kinda why I was leaning toward the nomad with the 60x just to be sure I have enough.

GH,
I just seen that optics planet has them for same price Also would the quality of the viper be better than that of the nomad? As they say you get what you pay for in optics.

C O shooter. That was the first one I had my eye on. And I am thinking that is what I really am looking for. The power and size. How is it at higher power, does it stay clear at the higher end of the power?

Gamehawker. I really like the viper model too. And it is a big contender but I think I am wanting to lean towards one with a little more power than the 45x. Will that 45x be enough for most situations? I really like the viper but I want to be sure that the 45x will be enough which is kinda why I was leaning toward the nomad with the 60x just to be sure I have enough.

Hands down the viper is a better scope, however, IMO the nomad is an entry level spotter. OP to answer your question it is clear, however, early early morning and late evening it is hard to make things out! But at those times I am usually on the gun! As previously stated you get what you pay for with optics. I was going back to Wyoming and at the time the nomad fit my bill!

For your needs. Would you have enough scope if the high end was only 45x or would you say the one with 60x would be more appropriate? Or would the better glass make up for not having the 60x. In other words do you think the 60 power is all that necessary?

For your needs. Would you have enough scope if the high end was only 45x or would you say the one with 60x would be more appropriate? Or would the better glass make up for not having the 60x. In other words do you think the 60 power is all that necessary?

I feel the more magnification the better! I never had the two models side by side!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.