Good Gun Build

kenai_king19

I am starting to feel kind of weathered in already by the approach of winter so that means winter indoor projects like a possible gun build. The equipment is as follows, A Select Match Series Shilen Barrel preferably a 1 in 9 inch twist or maybe 1 in 8, I am not sure, I'd would like to use the target bullets I have which are the Berger 168 VLD's, an A-5 Mcmillan Stock, Jewel Trigger, Stiller Action(I think the Predator Series would work), then for optics, a 8-32 x 56 NXS made by Nightforce. I have used the stiller action and jewell trigger both so those are stuck in, and looked through a Nightforce scope that a friend had, and that is to stay more than likely. So the stock and barrel are up in the air. Any suggestions or other equipment to go and check out? thank you.

What caliber rifle are you going to build??? What is the perpous of the gun??? I personally like the Savage actions because the barrels are so easy to change, and I do shoot out chambers on some of the wildcats I play with.

I want a 7mm rem magnum since I already have all of the reloading gear for this particular gun. The purpose would be a good thing to keep me busy during the winter, a really top notch longer range rifle possibly for hunting as well, and having a top quality rifle that I built myself.

I have a blueprinted 700 that wears a 1-9 7mm Shilen select #4 in 7mm Rem mag, and I just ordered another 7mm 1-9 #3 from Shilen and I've not fully decided what I'm going to build with it. I also have another 7 Rem Mag with a 26" Krieger, Predator action, MCM stock, jewel trigger.

Hope to get to the range sometime soon.

Barrels, You can buy a Shilen sel match grade crabon wrapped of Chistensen arms. I had one put on my weatherby and it came back shooting 1/2'' and less out of the box with factory ammo. I would also get thier Titanuim Muzzle brake that is removal with a cap, at time if you choose not to shoot with the brake on.

Actions.; if I had to look into actions I would look at McMillian or Jim bordens. I like short bolt throws so have a weatherby Mark V, but you'll have to go with a timney trigger.

Scopes. When I was scope shopping I was looking at all the scopes till I learned that second focal plane scopes you really have to shoot them at pre sighted in magnifications because Your image does not equally change in size with your crosshairs and will not have the same accuracy at ALL magnifications. I dont konw how off it could be, but I cant see spending a G plus on a Variable scope that really is variable. So I went with Schmidt&Bender Mil LP GEN II 3X12X50

Scope ring and Bases. I would look at Near Mfg.

This was my idea here.

Myrifle30-378005.jpg

All great things to keep in mind. That muzzle break is really interesting, definetly going to look at that. thanks dirtboy

So Derek M., how do you like the 7mm Rem Mag with the Krieger barrel on it? Thats real close to the things I mentioned that I want in my possible gun build. I know Krieger barrels are good but I don't have any personal experience with them. Would you recommend them or go for a Shilen? I know Hart Barrels are great to. Choices, choices, choices, :rolleyes:.

Scopes. When I was scope shopping I was looking at all the scopes till I learned that second focal plane scopes you really have to shoot them at pre sighted in magnifications because Your image does not equally change in size with your crosshairs and will not have the same accuracy at ALL magnifications. I dont konw how off it could be, but I cant see spending a G plus on a Variable scope that really is variable. So I went with Schmidt&Bender Mil LP GEN II 3X12X50

you do not have to sight in 2nd focal plane reticles any different then 1st focal plane at all. your "Accuracy" does not change at all at different powers. the only difference is that to use the moa spacing that is in some reticles you need to be at the highest power(on NXS anyway) the bad thing about 1st focal plane is the reticles gets bigger when you change power and can cover more of the target then 2nd plane.

there are up and down sides to both 1st and 2nd plane. but i would save the money and buy 2nd plane.

All great things to keep in mind. That muzzle break is really interesting, definetly going to look at that. thanks dirtboy

So Derek M., how do you like the 7mm Rem Mag with the Krieger barrel on it? Thats real close to the things I mentioned that I want in my possible gun build. I know Krieger barrels are good but I don't have any personal experience with them. Would you recommend them or go for a Shilen? I know Hart Barrels are great to. Choices, choices, choices, :rolleyes:.

Well, here's the thing: For a period of time, Shilen barrels started to get a bad reputation. Those days are over with new ownership and Mr. Shilen himself, returned to help whip things back into shape. I've asked quite a few builders and custom action makers if they could have any bbl on their own hunting rifle, who would they go with and many times the answer was Shilen. Both of mine are real shooters and I'm lucky as heck to have them both.

That said, if you take a look at the bench circuit, Krieger is always in the top listings as far as I've heard time and time again. I like both very much.

I actually plan on ordering my next barrel from Rock.

My next barrel I think for me will be a Brux, or a Shilen for my Savage. I have also been contemplating the Lothar Walther barrel. One guy I know uses the Lothar religiously. He and his wife have won some F-class shoots using those barrels.

Tank

Well now I really have to consider Krieger and ask around about them. I have personal experience with Shilen, that gun drills tacks, and hits dead center bulls eyes at 200, and roughly 3-4 inch groups at 900 yards, I don't own that gun, I have another one like it that hits 1-2 inch groups at 750. Course I guess if I choose one of the big three(Krieger, Hart, Shilen) I should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.