Good caliber for HOG hunting

onehandgunner

I need some insight on a caliber. I had a 25-06 but sold it a few years ago. All I ever shot with it was paper. I have a 35 Rem and a 45-70 but neither one is what I want to use for 200+ yd shots, 300 or so may be a max distance. I want a bit bigger bullet than what the 25 caliber offers. Rifle will be a bolt action with a 3x9 or 4x12 scope. The 7mm08 looks good but what do ya'll think. I'm 70 with a bad shoulder so I don't want a 300 Howitzer. Thanks, Jerry

I must add that I am not the kind of shooter that sits in one zip code and shoots to the next. My neighbor to the south of me is close to 300 yards away, that is a long ways. The 35 and the 45-70 both have the punch but it is like shot putting bowling balls. The more I look at the 7mm08 the more I like it.

For average size hogs and under, at short range(125 yd or less), I know a lot of folks using the ole 30-30. As you know very little recoil there. For the increased range and versatility with still very reasonable recoil, I second your choice of the 7mm08. It's also a great deer gun and is adequate for elk to 300 yds or so. I think you have done your homework and know your answer. Best of luck!
Kevin

Kevin, Thank you. I have 75 yd, 100 yd and 125 yd marked off between me and my southern neighbor. I feel good about the 35 on anything that would be in that range. SE New Mexico seems to have the hogs but mostly on private land, I think. Out there not counting a few canyons shots can be loooong. You can almost see Dallas on a clear day. But again 300 yds or less is it for me. And the 7mm08 is my choice. Thanks, Jerry

I think shot placement is more important than caliber. I once gut shot a hog with a .338LM and never recovered the hog.

I prefer 7.62/.308. The 7mm-08works well.

I think the old saying holds true - "There's no replacement for displacement!" If I had to chose between a .223 and a 7.62, I'm going with the 7.62.

I love the .45-70. With good shot placement, I've never seen one get up.

I think that whatever caliber you chose, be confident enough in you setup that you never need to question if you hit your point of aim.

If you ask DJ, he'll tell you that you need a 1 ton truck. He totaled a 1/2 ton by running over a hog a few years ago.

A 7-08 will work fine, but so will a 243 with the right bullet and shot placement. Shoot them right behind the ear with a good bullet, like the Hornady SST, Nosler partition, or one of the Barnes bullets and you will have pork chops for dinner.

Thanks guys, My caliber choice will be decided when I do come up with a place to hunt. I do not have scopes on either of my lever actions and hope to not have to. I think my 70 yr old eye sight is still okay with irons up to 100 or so yds. Much beyond that I will use a scope and have a flatter shooting bullet/cartridge. I am a BIG believer in proper shot placement and the ear is my point of aim. A 243 I'm sure will work fine along with a 308, but I just like the 7mm bullet in the 308 case. I do reload so I should be able to make a better choice of ammo. Thanks, Jerry

Take a look at the 6.5 creedmoor also.

Can't believe you were the first to say it. I was reading all the post thinking someone would have said 6.5 creedmore before now. It's exactly what your looking for. I've got two on order after playing with one. Also building one for my dad who is almost 70 and same line of thinking the original poster had. Light recoil accurate and perfect for the distance you are looking for.

I do not know a thing about the 6.5 Creedmore, I did look up info on it and it is impressive. I am not ready to buy yet, when I line up a spot to hunt and see what type of country it is I will decide. I may use what I have, but, I favor the 7mm08. Thanks, Jerry

I understand the whole wanting and soft spot for a caliber. My .257 Roy fits that app well. The 7mm is a good choice because it has a good bullet selection bu it think the 6.5 creed is just a bit better. Especially with factory ammo. The hornady 129gr sst and now the 149gr eldx makes it much easier to shoot really far if you wanted to.

I took my 260 rem down to Texas a while back. 1 shot kills. No recoil, and dead pigs. I'm sure the 7-08 will do the same job. Shot placement is most Defenently the key with pigs. They are tough. The vitals seem to be more forward than a deers.

I do not know a thing about the 6.5 Creedmore, I did look up info on it and it is impressive. I am not ready to buy yet, when I line up a spot to hunt and see what type of country it is I will decide. I may use what I have, but, I favor the 7mm08. Thanks, Jerry
The Sectional Density of the 6.5 makes it a great bullet for hog hunting if you use the right bullet. To get the same or more SD in a 7mm your significantly heavier which the 7/08 your not going to push the 160 and up very hard. 25-2650ish And you will be crowding powder space in a repeater badly to get there.
The 6.5 creedmoore is a shorter case so no mag feed induced restrictions. They have factory match ammo that has the load right on the box. The lighter bullet, less powder, and better case design will contribute to lighter recoil and less shorter barrel penalty if you choose a short tube

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.