Going to Ontario Wolf Hunting

Discussion in 'Wolf Hunting' started by pistolpat, Jan 11, 2013.

1. pistolpat

pistolpat New Member

Hi all. I'm going to Ontario in hopes of shooting a Wolf. I know I need Small Game license and a Wolf/Coyote seal. What else do I need to get the hide back into the U.S.?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I wish you would just go to Idaho, Montana or Wyoming and shoot one instead.

Jeff

3. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

Especially MT:D. I'd check with the Fish and Game Dept of the state you'll be coming back across the boarder into.

4. lewwetzel

lewwetzel Well-Known Member

If you're talking the Kapukasing River area, you might try www.kapriveroutfitters.ca site for contact/help. Mighty cold up there this time of year.

5. jvstoro

jvstoro Member

It all depends as to where you are hunting. In some zones, all you need is a small game license, in others you will need a wolf tag. Once you shoot your wolf, you will need to pick up a permit at the nearest Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), its a royalty the province collects, the cost is ridiculous, and will cost you about $1.50, yes a buck and a half.! This will allow you to take the pelt to a tannery, taxidermist or out of country. Without it you could face a heavy fine.

Best of luck, February was great wolf hunting in Ontario!

6. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

A good paper trail as has been said, from beginning to the end of the trip. Its been a few years, but a friend brought 3 back from BC, and a CITES permit from the Province was required. He said it seems like $20-25. If memory serves not every border crossing is set up to process the hides, and you may have to use a select station, and cross at certain times. A call to USFWS might be in order. Or a taxidermist knowledgeable about import and export. Then you'll want to keep that info with the hide. Its been a few years, process may have changed, or I remember it wrong. Good Luck.