Going Back To Where I Started........... Kinda

A 7 twist at 5k is doing 514000 rpm. That's 841,000 g's of rotation for a .224" bullet. Even copper would come apart at those rpm. Rotational g's help a bullet expand/explode when it hits the target.

A 12 twist would be about the limit, I think. I'm curious to see what happens.
If I've done the math right, my 6.5 Ultracat @ 4000 fps 6 twist is about 480,000 rpm so we're close. Others may actually be there.

I remember @ButterBean saying when seeing the Cat the first time "You guys are going to cost me money"! Chasing the demon is contagious, my friend Butterbean has the right stuff.

If I've done the math right, my 6.5 Ultracat @ 4000 fps 6 twist is about 480,000 rpm so we're close. Others may actually be there.

I remember @ButterBean saying when seeing the Cat the first time "You guys are going to cost me money"! Chasing the demon is contagious, my friend Butterbean has the right stuff.

Oh I'm chasing the Demon ShoNuff and yep your in my pocket pretty hard😉 but I wouldn't have it any other way

Had to revisit some old loading data from way back, and after conversing with a couple of others who also played with the 22-06, 22-284, 22 Clark and similar capacities in 1/14 and 1/16 twists, we never got close to 5k fps with 52's or 55's. Even with 4350, 4831 (I or H) and even H870, these type of wildcats are WAY overbore, and often, gave little if any vel gains over lessor capacity 224 cartridges. Throat life was short, and special attention to proper cleaning was a must for decent accuracy.

If used with fast twists and heavy for caliber bullets, there may be slight advantages over the 22-243 versions and the 22-250AI or 22CM with similar twists and bullets, but again, throat life will suffer.

Had to revisit some old loading data from way back, and after conversing with a couple of others who also played with the 22-06, 22-284, 22 Clark and similar capacities in 1/14 and 1/16 twists, we never got close to 5k fps with 52's or 55's. Even with 4350, 4831 (I or H) and even H870, these type of wildcats are WAY overbore, and often, gave little if any vel gains over lessor capacity 224 cartridges. Throat life was short, and special attention to proper cleaning was a must for decent accuracy.

If used with fast twists and heavy for caliber bullets, there may be slight advantages over the 22-243 versions and the 22-250AI or 22CM with similar twists and bullets, but again, throat life will suffer
I've had most of what you mentioned above so we'll see what happens, as far as throat life as i said before…….. I don't care

Saeed, over on AccurateReloading, was able to produce 5,278 FPS from a 22-243 Middlestead and a 30gr Berger bullet with RE15. That's the fastest bullet I've heard of on the net. Before that, I didn't think conventionally loaded ammo could produce velocities in excess of 5K.
I had a Middlestead and made it to 5K with the 30 grainers as well, really hoping I can get the 50 grainers moving that fast

A628251C-A77A-4F33-99DB-54579087EDC6.jpeg

A 7 twist at 5k is doing 514000 rpm. That's 841,000 g's of rotation for a .224" bullet. Even copper would come apart at those rpm. Rotational g's help a bullet expand/explode when it hits the target.

A 12 twist would be about the limit, I think. I'm curious to see what happens.
Like Bean said, my money's on the bullet.

Recent Posts