Go to 6.5 bullet

130 Berger Hybrid OTM
These shoot exceptionally well in my 6.5x47, PRS rifle.
997E44AF-A329-4D29-9EB3-C28A206BF89F.jpeg

I have a savage fcpsr creed that shoots 1/2" with the 129 interlock, 140 black and 143 eldx precision hunter amazingly accurate factory rifle. It shoots the eldx handload very wel equally accurate. I have a model 12 that I've tried both 140 rdf and eldx with h4350 and can't get it dialed in the way I want. It's only purpose is a target rifle. It's bedded in a bell and Carlson. I'm super anal with the 12, neck size, weigh cases match primers etc. I'm just wondering if a 130 might be the ticket or a eldm/Berger.
I have had about 3 Savage 6.5 cm rifles. I have one that is stated to have an 8 twist barrel which is actually measured to be 7.5 twist. If I were you, I would measure the twist. If its is a 7.5 twist, I would try a 147 eld or heavier bullet.

I've shot a lot of Hornady eldx and they shoot well for me, what is everyone's go to 6.5 bullet for tiny groups? I've kicked around the sierras and eldm I know they have a few different weights but have never ventured past the eldx. Targets or game doesn't matter. Pick 1 bullet you would try first no matter what 6.5 caliber you tried because it's a forgiving projectile to work a load up with. 1/8 twist

upload_2019-8-31_14-27-33.jpeg

There are four bullet holes under this dime from a hundred yards.

Two each from to separate lots of Honady 147 gr ELD Match factory loads. The dimensions shown are the actual center / center from to (2) separate lots.

I've also had similar luck with the 140 grain ELD M.

I've shot a lot of Hornady eldx and they shoot well for me, what is everyone's go to 6.5 bullet for tiny groups? I've kicked around the sierras and eldm I know they have a few different weights but have never ventured past the eldx. Targets or game doesn't matter. Pick 1 bullet you would try first no matter what 6.5 caliber you tried because it's a forgiving projectile to work a load up with. 1/8 twist
143 x same as you..only thing just as good for me was 140 vldm...shot 1" left...of X'S..10 shot 1/2 moa...had I just shot 5 would have been closer to .25

I shoot Berger 140 grain VLD Hunting, they shoot great. I got a batch that didn't open up at all on a big mule deer, took 6 shots with my 6.5 x 284 all but the first shot in the lungs, the farthest shot was 200 yards. The year before that I used 142 grain Matchkings in the same gun, it blew up in a whitetail, and ditto on an antelope at 300 yards. When I skinned the antelope, you could just about put your fist in the entrance hole, devastating!

I've had good results with 123 Scenars in my 6.5X47 and 140 and 130 Berger VLD Hunting bullets in my 6.5-06AI.

This year the Sierra 130 TGK will be my antelope bullet. They shoot decent in a 9 twist 6.5-06 Rem 700 action 26" barrel 53-54 grains of IMR 4831 with Federal 210 match primers. Killed pretty well last year using my 6.5-06AI.

A friend makes 135 grain BIBs but I've never tried them.

Last edited:
I suspect this is more common than we know..Somebody else got the 8.5, and head scratching his head.
I owned three browing xbolts and two of them didn't have the twist that was stated: 300 wm was supposed to be 10, it was 11 twist. 270wsm was supposed to be 10, started at 11 and was around 10 at the muzzle. I have an x-caliber that is supposed to be 8 twist but is 8.25 which it shoots 147 eld's great. My cut rifled barrels are all spot on for quoted twist. My savage factory barrel that has 7.5 measured twist shoots 140s decent but I think it would shoot alot better with something around 147 & heavier. I just haven't worked up a load with them yet.

Shot this 5 shot group at Piedmont NC in the 600 yd August match of 2018. Uses 142 Sierras with 48.48 gr. H4350, and CCI BR primers. (Lapua brass - 6.5 - 284).
I am also getting good results withe BIB 135 gr bullet, and playing with the 150 Sierra. (8.5 twist Kreiger, 28")

Attachments

• IMG_0918 (4).JPG
    IMG_0918 (4).JPG
    766.6 KB · Views: 173
A fried makes 136 grain BIBs but I've never tried them.
If RG is a friend, you are a lucky SOB!
They are unbelievably uniform. I weigh sort all my Sierras, and after weighing 20 BIB's I couldn't find 2 that didn't match, so I gave up. Picked up my first wood for 600 yards with them last month, shooting a 194 out of 200, with 8 X's..

20190831_151911.jpg
This is my first time shooting Berger bullets.
Shot the Berger 156gr. EOL Elite Hunter over a MAX load of RL-17, Remington 9 1/2 primer, FL resized Hornady brass in the Savage Model 11 Long Range Hunter, 6.5 Creedmoor, 24" rifled BBL, 1-8 twist.
Should give me about 2650-2700FPS.
I have not touched a screw on this rifle other than to mount the scope.
Tried IMR 7828, it did not perform as well.
Waiting to try RL-26 with this bullet.

140 VLDH, 142 Nosler ABLR, both shoot sub 1/2 minute at 3015 fps to the same point of impact from 6.5 SAUM 8 twist #3 rock creek @26"both have great on game performance from 40 yds to 855 yds furthest, these results are from 12 kills

6E4CD197-AC62-4CCE-B303-E325990FAA99.jpeg
Berger vld hunting is the only 6.5 bullet for me !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts