Go no-go gauges

I was assuming he knew more than I did. Not the only problem I've had. I'm gonna have to end up suing for my money back with this guy

Yeah I've been having some issues with the guy. As big of a shop as he has it just surprises me.

Just want to add that I have seen the tape method/trick on a go gauge though.
That's probably OK, as long as the NO-GO is used, too. A GO gauge with tape is NOT a NO-GO gauge. "Shimming" the GO gauge can tell you how close you are to minimum SAAMI headspace (the GO gauge). I use steel shim stock with a dab of light grease on the GO gauge, AND then the NO-GO gauge, too. It's call CYA. Check and double check. Headspacing a barrel involves more than potential accuracy and brass life, safety should always be the main concern. Would a inspector in a machine shop opt to rig a GO gauge, and forgo using the certified NO-GO gauge before delivering to the customer? (who will use his inspector and gauges to varify that the parts he ordered are to spec, before accepting those parts)

How much clearance do you give the go gauge on a new chamber?
No more than GO + .002, I like GO + .001 even better! Much depends on the ammo that will be used. If the rifle will be used with off-the-shelf factory ammo, I'll use Go to the middle of the tolerence. .30/06 class has .006" from GO to NO-GO, so I like GO +.003", but no more than that. .308 class has .004" between GO and NO-GO, I like GO + .002 in that. Weatherbys use a 'tighter' tolerence on their belted mags, I use the same as they do. Factory Creedmore ammo made by Hornaday or Win. have both been compatable with minimum headspaced chambers,,,, s far...Handloaded ammo can be made to 'fit' the tight headspaced chamber/barrel, factory made ammo is what it is. Most factory made ammo will fit in a minimum headspaced chamber, but I've met up with a few that won't. If a customer who'll use only factory ammo wants a 'tighter' headspaced chamber, I will accomodate that with the factory ammo on hand that he plans on using.

When you take your car or pick-up to the local mechanic to have the brakes fixed you trust him to do the work correctly and to use parts that, when manufactured, were proerly gauged and no 'short-cuts' were involved in the gauging. When you get on that air liner, to go on vacation, you trust that when manufactured or repaired that the components of that air craft were properly gauged, again, without "short-cuts" or 'tricks' in the process.

That's probably OK, as long as the NO-GO is used, too. A GO gauge with tape is NOT a NO-GO gauge. "Shimming" the GO gauge can tell you how close you are to minimum SAAMI headspace (the GO gauge). I use steel shim stock with a dab of light grease on the GO gauge, AND then the NO-GO gauge, too. It's call CYA. Check and double check. Headspacing a barrel involves more than potential accuracy and brass life, safety should always be the main concern. Would a inspector in a machine shop opt to rig a GO gauge, and forgo using the certified NO-GO gauge before delivering to the customer? (who will use his inspector and gauges to varify that the parts he ordered are to spec, before accepting those parts)

You might know this guy in the video; check out ~1.44 mark ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/KICBv-0U87Y?t=109[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts