Go/No-Go Gauges - PTG

The real problem I had with Brownells and Midway was their pricing for same set was considerably more than off the PTG. I hope they told me straight that the gauges were in stock and pulled for shipment when I called. I will let everyone know how it goes within the next 10 days or so.

Tried to order a custom reamer from PTG last year. Spoke with D. Kiff directly and he was very helpful with suggestions on my design.
After our conversation I sent my dummy round out the next day and followed the tracking number to wait until it was delivered before I called to confirm dimensions for the print. I got someone else when I called but she promised the prints would be out in 10-15 days and once approved the reamer would be ready within 2 months.
Having agreed to these terms I waited for 3 weeks on the print and called numerous times thereafter always getting a different reason and a new promise of when it would be ready. Since I hadn't been billed any money I just gave up and quit calling, a year later I still haven't heard back from them or received a print...

On a recommendation from this site I called JGS. Within a couple weeks I had a print emailed to me, and a finished reamer in my hand just over 2months later, exactly as promised! I highly recommend JGS for spot on work and great customer service.

Ptg was a great firm to deal with 15 to 18 years ago when the structure was reasonably small, Dave Kiff was easily accessible for the tricky technical questions and the turnaround was fast and customer service great.
I still order stuff once every two years when I have no other choices and the items I am after are in stock.But half of the time there is a stuff up on the order. Anything else ,I go to Dave Manson , happy to wait the time it takes and pay a tad more and the customer service is impeccable.
It is a bit sad that PTG turned out that way, becauseDave Kiff is a nice guy with lot of knowledge and plenty of good ideas.

good luck, hopefully you get it soon. i ordered a recoil lug alignment tool from them on 12/15/19 and still have yet to receive it. after emailing 5 or 6 times with no response, i called them and found out that it wouldnt ship until the first week of February. no indication that they werent in stock when i ordered it.
Next time just order the alignment tool from Hollands

Just got my lug and pins after 28 days. I would have paid 50% more to have them inside a week. Still don't have my refund though.

lesson learned.

I once purchased a reamer from PTG and they wouldn't give me a print for it. I have had other unpleasant experiences with them also.

The last time I ordered something from them I sent a note saying when they got the item ready to ship call for a credit card number. I haven't heard from them and don't expect to. Even if they did call me I would be inclined to ask for a picture of the part laying in a box addressed to me and a UPS driver standing in the background.

Last edited:
OK, I know folks have had some issues but I can report I received the Go/no-go/field gauge set today less than one week from order. My experience with them on the phone and now with receipt of the gauges has been as good as it gets. They were pleasant and accommodating when I called back for clarification. We need to be able to report good, the bad and the ugly with full transparency. I can say I am very much satisfied with my experience with PTG both for speed of order and also the pricing which was far better than the standard places I go to get gunsmithing supplies.

Attachments

• IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    898.4 KB · Views: 72
good luck, hopefully you get it soon. i ordered a recoil lug alignment tool from them on 12/15/19 and still have yet to receive it. after emailing 5 or 6 times with no response, i called them and found out that it wouldnt ship until the first week of February. no indication that they werent in stock when i ordered it.
Seems like everthing you try and order from them wont tell if if it's in stock.
This is such a PITA that I just stay away.

I judge by the service I have received and I received very good prompt service with good pricing. I actually asked if the gauges were in stock and they confirmed which is confirmed by receipt of the gauges inside a week from order. Note the shipment went from OR to MI so there was shipping time included. Everyone has to judge by their own experience.

I judge by the service I have received and I received very good prompt service with good pricing. I actually asked if the gauges were in stock and they confirmed which is confirmed by receipt of the gauges inside a week from order. Note the shipment went from OR to MI so there was shipping time included. Everyone has to judge by their own experience.

Just because you won the lottery once doesnt mean its a good investment.

It's good everything went as you expected but based on my experiences I would want to at least measure them before I checked the "well done" box.

The last reamer I had anything to do with PTG was .003 to small at the .200 line

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.