Glen Morovits 257 Roberts

Alan Griffith

I picked this little gem up a few weeks ago and just wanted to share with the LRH gang.

I had been thinking about building a classic rifle. Ya know! Blue, to "die for" wood and checkering with most of the "possibilities". Found a guy who is a Pre 64 M70 collector and as we were talking about me buying another action from him, he asked if I might be interested in something he recently decided to sell. He started explaining what he had and every time he'd ask "whadda think?", I'd just say, "I'm still listening". We went round and round about 4 times so I asked if he would send pics. They arrived a few hours later and I kept having to reel my jaw up. I'll include a few pics of my own because the lighting is, to me, more true to the color of the wood.

One little neat thing is it was about $500 less than what I was willing to pay and I only had to wait about 7-10 days for it instead of the 3 years he waited.

-Pre 64 M70 action (1952)
-Krieger #2ish 24" CM barrel, work done by Krieger to include truing the action.
-Exhibition grade California walnut with Fluer De Lis checkering. African Ebony wood tip. Steel checkered butt plate and steel grip cap.
-Inlaid sling studs
-custom S&K bases and rings smoothed and left in the white for bluing later
-Checkered bolt release
-Sunnyhill bottom metal (check out the contouring of the front of the bottom metal flowing into the wood)
-VX3 2.5-8x32 B&C reticle (His pics have a 4.5-14x40 but I felt it was too large and asked he take it off and reduce his asking price accordingly which he graciously did)
-Full length (tang to tip) glass bedding
-Recontoured tang to include blind action screw hole
-Three panel tear drop checkering on bolt handle
-Fine line cheek piece
-All metal rust blued
-Weight w/ the 2.5-8 = 9 lb even

These are my pics

696c0d88.jpg

2bf6d03f.jpg
[/IMG]

dc37d645.jpg

My first in person look
6e09efb5.jpg

055d083d.jpg

6a99133a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like you found a fine gem. Wood is spectacular... fit and finish is as well.
Thanks for sharing Alan, and good luck with her.

Glen does some awesome stock work don't he. I really like the work that was done on the stock and bolt. He use to do stock work for Dakota Arms and I have seen a number of guns that he has done and never seen a bad stock job. Great find there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.