257 Roberts / Berger 115s

bluefish

Anyone have any pets loads for a Roberts with Berger 115s? Will be primarily used for our smallish whitetails and on trips out west to shoot at pronghorns and the occasional dummy coyote.

Also, any info on bullets performance on game would be appreciated.

Yes, I know 257 Rob is really old school -- but so am I.

Anyone have any pets loads for a Roberts with Berger 115s? Will be primarily used for our smallish whitetails and on trips out west to shoot at pronghorns and the occasional dummy coyote.

Also, any info on bullets performance on game would be appreciated.

Yes, I know 257 Rob is really old school -- but so am I.

I've shot three deer that weighed over 300lb. a piece with the .257. One was with the Seirra 117 bullet, and the other two were with the Nosler 100 grain BT. All three deer were dead when they hit the ground, and none took more than two steps. Later I shot a buck that weighed close to 330lb. with a .257AI and the same 100 grain BT. Same results

The .257 Roberts is not old school, but the best deer round ever concieved. The first time I used one the guys I hunted with laughed at me, and said that I'd best be ready to do some serious tracking! The next year half those guys showed up with 25 caliber rifles. The following year only one was still using a 30 caliber rifle. Sometimes it just takes folks a little longer to learn what Ned knew fifty years ago!

Now if somebody could talk Savage into bring back a slightly stretched 99 chambered in .257 Roberts, a lot of folks would think that they've found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!
gary

Gary

Your comment on the Savage 99 in 257 reminds me of an old, but classic whitetail hunting book "Shots at Whitetail" . Th auther was a big fan of the 250 Savage I think the author's name was Larry Koller. I have the book somewhere. The 250 Savage was a noted deer round.

My family has been shooting rifles in the .257 Roberts caliber for some years -- beginning years back with a pre-64 Model 70, which i was foolish enough to sell.

We currently have two -- a model 77 Ruger and a 98 Mauser action chambered in 257 Rob. I think you can still find a few used Rugers for sale, and the occasional rem 700 special, but I don't think any major manufacturers are offering the caliber currently.

Too bad, its a great caliber -- substantially more punch than the 6mms IMHO. Its an extremely effective deer load, and also good for varmit hunting with 87 grain bullets. Also quite pleasant for kids and women to shoot. Some folks use them for bigger critters or so I hear.

I think the 257 Rob and the Berger 115s will make a really nice deer and antelope combo -- plan to try it.

Bill

Gary

Your comment on the Savage 99 in 257 reminds me of an old, but classic whitetail hunting book "Shots at Whitetail" . Th auther was a big fan of the 250 Savage I think the author's name was Larry Koller. I have the book somewhere. The 250 Savage was a noted deer round.

My family has been shooting rifles in the .257 Roberts caliber for some years -- beginning years back with a pre-64 Model 70, which i was foolish enough to sell.

We currently have two -- a model 77 Ruger and a 98 Mauser action chambered in 257 Rob. I think you can still find a few used Rugers for sale, and the occasional rem 700 special, but I don't think any major manufacturers are offering the caliber currently.

Too bad, its a great caliber -- substantially more punch than the 6mms IMHO. Its an extremely effective deer load, and also good for varmit hunting with 87 grain bullets. Also quite pleasant for kids and women to shoot. Some folks use them for bigger critters or so I hear.

I think the 257 Rob and the Berger 115s will make a really nice deer and antelope combo -- plan to try it.

Bill

believe it or not, I've never owned one! But my brother has a safe full of them, so you know where I head off to when a .257 comes to mind. I happen to be a fan of the Savage 99, and I'd love to see them make a slightly longer action (about .30") and chamber rounds like the .257, and 6.5x55.

Now my favorite .257 in that certain gunsafe is a nice Ruger #1, and told him to be sure and leave it to me in the will!
gary

im a 35 fan also 250 savage ackley, 25/284, 257 whby, and my new own version 25 Bobcat ( aka 25 x 270 wsm ) yep, 25 caliber dead animal. my suggestion would be for the roberts case cap. stick with the 100 grain , think the 115 would work better with the whby or bobcat velocity. BtW i can get 3600 with the 100 grain from the Bobcat, not bad having a short action 257 whby.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.