257 Roberts

TXJack

I recently purchased a Ruger M77 chambered in 257 Roberts in great condition. The gun might be a early-mid 80's model. I don't know much about the gun or the caliber.

How much is the gun worth?

Best bullets to use?

ETC...

All advice welcome.

I always say something is only worth what you can find someone willing to pay you for it.
It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle as to bullets. An all round bullet would be a Sierra 100 gr BT at 3000 fps. It will take varmints up through deer very well. Most of the 70 to 87 gr varmint bullets do a good job on varmints. I really like the 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter for deer.

Brother owns a couple of them in .257. They are 3/4" five shot guns with hand loads. I used one of them in Michigan on a deer hunting trip. Took three different loads with me, and all worked very well. My favorite was a 100 grain Nosler BT at 3000fps. Dropped a 313lb. buck like it was a rock. Plus I tagged eight or ten coyotes with it later that night (actually two different nights). The other loads were heavier. One used a Sierra 117 grain bullet and the other might have been a Nosler 115 grain bullet. The scope was a 2.5x-8x Leupold with Leupold rings and bases.

I went with eight other guys to Michigan, and everyone of them used a 30-06. They all laughed at me with the pipsqueak rifle. 300lb. deer were common up there, and they all told me to plan on doing a lot of tracking. The following year six of them had .257 Roberts rifles.
gary

morning, is this ruger a tang safety? if so depending on the serial #, how

many 257 tang safety the ruger factory made before stopping production.

is this the M-77V or the standard.

22" barrel walnut stock. pencil barrel or the heavy barrel 24-26". $500 to

$1000 i bought 5 M-77V's tang safeties. all 5 cost roughly $5000. The V model

r worth money. 2-22-250-243-308-25-06. the 25-06 has never been fired.

thanks 4 ur ear.

just country NRA-TSRA life memberlightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.