Glass Bedding

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 7ultra, May 10, 2004.

1. 7ultra

7ultra Well-Known Member

In the next few days I should have my Winchester Sporter LT in to have a muzzle break installed. Even though I haven't shot the gun yet, should I just go ahead and have the gun glass bedded?

2. shilen30

shilen30 Well-Known Member

I take it you have a synthetic stock. If not, definitely get at least the ACTION glass bedded. No matter what the stock material, free float that barrel so you can slide 2 sheets of paper around and down the barrel without resistance. I could tell you some serious nightmare stories of working up loads in a couple guns before I floated the barrels. I wouldn't even consider shooting new rifles without floating the barrels first anymore.

Also, glass bedding the action can help a synthetic stock if the action does not fit perfect/has pressure points.

3. 7ultra

7ultra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice,
    the Sporter LT however has a wood stock on it.

4. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Pillar and glass bedding will help any stock, but will definitely help a wood stock.

5. Bear

Bear Active Member

Shoot the rifle first to see if it needs beding. Don't fix it if it is not broken. You could screw up a great shooter.

6. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

A proper bed job never hurt accuracy of any rifle. It will only help, especially in a wood stock that is prone to changing due to environmental conditions.

7. IceSniper

IceSniper Well-Known Member

Can someone point me to a Do-it-Yourself Bedding thread?

I have a Norinco .22lr that i've floated the barrel on, and want to have a go at bedding it myself, which will hopefuly Cut my 200y groups down a bit from around 85mm [​IMG] .

Thanks guys.

8. subsonic

subsonic Active Member

Hi Icesniper,
    try this link www.probed2000.com/pillarbed/
    I have used Devon and Acraglass and I like the ease of use and the results with the pro-bed compound.