Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due

ButterBean

Everyone knows that I am a firm believer in Hammer Bullets but I want to give credit to the owners ( Steve and Brian) as they just went to Africa armed with a 270SS with the 140g HH, 22 Needmoor ( Sorry Brian, I show no favoritism) with the 64g HH, 17 Hornet with the 21g HH and last but not least @RockyMtnMT took a 30/30 Iron Sight Lever Action with the 143 Lever Hammer as his main Rig( Yep you read it right), I will leave the glory Pics and Post's to to Steve and Brian when they get back and rested up but I can assure you they had a most excellent hunt, Under gunned you say.... No says I, Congrats to the both of you

Thanks bean. It was a great trip. We did go light on cartridges. We did this to prove a point and it was what we wanted to hunt with. I will add that I am not saying that big game hunting with a 17 hornet should be a go to. I shot 2 impala a diuker and a porcupine with it. It gave stellar results on all.

We did a nearly daily update of the safari on our Hammer Time forum. Best way for anyone interested to see the trip is to look here. https://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/1727/2021-hammer-safari

Everyone knows that I am a firm believer in Hammer Bullets but I want to give credit.....and last but not least a 30/30 Iron Sight Lever Action with the 143 Lever Hammer as his main Rig( Yep you read it right),
I'm not sure I'll ever be a Model 94 fan (blasphemy) but the commitment to building bullets that perform for each platform, and to quite a degree individual taste, and specific circumstances, besides being awesome is fun to watch.

Thanks Guys!

I'm not sure I'll ever be a Model 94 fan (blasphemy) but the commitment to building bullets that perform for each platform, and to quite a degree individual taste, and specific circumstances, besides being awesome is fun to watch.

Thanks Guys!
You slobbered a Bib full right there

Thanks bean. It was a great trip. We did go light on cartridges. We did this to prove a point and it was what we wanted to hunt with. I will add that I am not saying that big game hunting with a 17 hornet should be a go to. I shot 2 impala a diuker and a porcupine with it. It gave stellar results on all.

We did a nearly daily update of the safari on our Hammer Time forum. Best way for anyone interested to see the trip is to look here. https://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/1727/2021-hammer-safari
I'm with you 100% but you have shown what can be done with the Hammers, I tip my hat to the both of you for having the Nad's to do what you just did, Congrats again to the both of you

It's great for Hammer bullets to build and show that mono metal bullets can do more with less weight. Thunder17 P.O. Ackley proved that a 220 swift could be a good deer round with proper bullets on decommissioned mules that had to be put down. Does Wv allow hunting with any centerfire? Not knocking the choice the powers that be don't seem to take in common sense sometimes.

It's great for Hammer bullets to build and show that mono metal bullets can do more with less weight. Thunder17 P.O. Ackley proved that a 220 swift could be a good deer round with proper bullets on decommissioned mules that had to be put down. Does Wv allow hunting with any centerfire? Not knocking the choice the powers that be don't seem to take in common sense sometimes.
Yes, WV allows any centerfire cartridge. It's not the ideal cartridge for deer, but it works pretty well if you have common sense. Most cartridges have limitations to an extent, and those limitations shouldn't be exceeded. Common sense is more critical when determining shot placement, bullet selection, and limiting shot distance than it is cartridge choice in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, WV allows any centerfire cartridge. It's not the ideal cartridge for deer, but it works pretty well if you have common sense. Most cartridges have limitations to an extent, and those limitations shouldn't be exceeded. Common sense is more critical when determining shot placement, bullet selection, and limiting shot distance than it is cartridge choice in my opinion.
I killed a pile of deer with a Swift Back in the day way before Hammers, A swift loaded with Hammers will once again be a game changer

I called Hammer Bullets months ago and for my 220 swift with a 1:14" twist the 35 grain hunters are the only ones that will work in it. Was contemplating rebarreling to a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets but after Thunder17's and Hammers 21 grain kills I think I'll just get some 35 grainers. Have small whitetails out back under 200 yard, they should do the trick.

I called Hammer Bullets months ago and for my 220 swift with a 1:14" twist the 35 grain hunters are the only ones that will work in it. Was contemplating rebarreling to a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets but after Thunder17's and Hammers 21 grain kills I think I'll just get some 35 grainers. Have small whitetails out back under 200 yard, they should do the trick.
Run them up and put it where it goes and you will have great results. I know that we have a bunch of guys running the 44g Hammer Hunter in 14" twist barrels with great success. They are pretty much a flat base bullet and that throws off the stability calculators. Technically the flat base bullet requires less twist to achieve full stability. I am a numbers/formula guy and I have a hard time straying from the numbers. For the range that you are shooting the 35g will do the same job as the 44g. The Swift should have no trouble reaching the 4400 fps mark with the 35g. They will not come undone on impact so penetration will not be a problem.

Run them up and put it where it goes and you will have great results. I know that we have a bunch of guys running the 44g Hammer Hunter in 14" twist barrels with great success. They are pretty much a flat base bullet and that throws off the stability calculators. Technically the flat base bullet requires less twist to achieve full stability. I am a numbers/formula guy and I have a hard time straying from the numbers. For the range that you are shooting the 35g will do the same job as the 44g. The Swift should have no trouble reaching the 4400 fps mark with the 35g. They will not come undone on impact so penetration will not be a problem.
My kind of killing right there, the static shock will be devastating