Giving .308 Win a go

Are you sure the CBC brass was not Berdan primed ? Have you confirmed that it has 1 central flash hole and not 2 smaller flash holes ? Trying to deprime berdan brass is the only way I know to break deprining tools...

I recently processed 500 pieces of 308 brass from Lake City, 2/3 of it had crimped (full ring not staked) primers. The primers were live too (it was unfired brass). Depriming was not the problem. But yes, the best way to correct the primer pocket is to ream it. I paid quite a bit for a swaging tool and it didn't work worth a ****. Ended up reaming them anyhow so I could get new primers in there. The factory primer pockets have a small radius at the edge of the primer pocket. This was not created with the swaging tool, it had a square edge. That made it a huge PIA trying to re-prime.

Go to you tube for how to remove military crimped in primers

Varget very good powder for 308 win

Suggest buying RCBS powder scales.......all powder despencers you still have to weigh your powder to get it right

For military cases because they are thicker require less powder ........if you are using 165/168 suggest starting at 41.0 of Varget and work up 41.5, 42.0... Do 5 of each and check after each shot ........check the primer area when it flattens out that is usually close to max.........

Also if this is military primed brass they use CCI 34 primers which are Magnum rifle primers......another variable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=389104

westcliff - I have not confirmed, I broke my pin and the primer didn't budge. What you're saying makes sense.

Alaska - I measured every load with my Lee scale before it went into the case. I agree, when working something up I like the verification of the scale.

I may just hang onto this brass and keep that variable out of this work up and go back to my Remington once fired stuff. When I get enough of the military stuff I may work some loads up with that too.

Thanks all, this place rocks!

Good job using scale

I do not flow any of my loads sold my RCBS powder depenser on E bay years ago.

Scale every load.......

Good choice using commerical brass.

Winchester Brass is very good for the price........but you can buy Federal Gold Medal Match on Gun Broker cheap

With Varget the best primer that worked for me was CCI Br2

In bolt gun best accuarcy with 165/168 is 44.0 with WW case and Br2 primer

Once you get the brass issues figured out, the Varget load will give you great hunting accuracy. Most books list around 46 grains as max. It was a little high in my Model 600 Remington, so I backed off to 45 and it is a sub-minute shooter with Hornady 165 Interlocks when I do my part. In the 18 1/2-inch barrel I get 2557 fps with that load.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.