gibbs mauser build, lots of questions

cowboy717

I'm new to wildcatting and want something different than the average. I'm looking into the Gibbs line of cartridges. Wanting to do either the 240, 6.5, or the 30 Gibbs. My questions are how to get started?! What is needed to form the cases die wise. What can be used? I have a mountain of once fired 06 brass that I would love to learn annealing, neck turning, and so on. I have been hand loading for many years but would love to get into a wildcat, something different than an AI round.
Please get me started! Thanks!
Gun will be a custom 98 mauser. Used for LR plinking, deer, varmints. Basically everything. Would like to end up with all calibers in the Gibbs line!

The mauser action will need to be trued and have a good trigger installed. The action may not be level so you may need a canted base or to shim the rings or use Burris insert rings. You will need a good stock.

The difference between a 240 Gibbs, 6-284, 6-06, 240Wby is small.

This is a 240 Wby with a 30 inch barrel and Joel Russo thumbhole stock.

686buck.jpg

240w5.jpg

If you wish to practice annealing some cases you read this thread. If you wish to buy a machine to do the annealing I believe the forum Gear shop sells them
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f94/annealing-cases-39987/index8.html

I have all the gibbs from 240 to 338 except the 270. I love the gibbs line. They are virtually the same performance as the standard magnum counterparts. Since you have 30-06 brass I would do the 7mm or 6.5 gibbs. The reason is your brass needs to be one caliber larger than your finished product for headspace. You neck the brass down until it just chambers easily and that is your headspace and where you fire form it. Use 25-06 for the 240. My velocities with the 7mm gibbs are the same as the listed velocities for the 7mm rem mag in the loading manuals. My 30 Gibbs velocities are about the same as the published loads for the 300 win mag. If you want to do it get an 8mm expander ball and run the cases in it first. Then size back down to 30 cal until it chambers then set your die. There is your headspace for fireforming. If you plan on shooting it quite a bit do the 7mm or the 30 cal. The 240 and 6.5 will be shorter barrel life. The 240 gibbs is a monster in 6mm and is the fastest 6mm in my arsenal. I have some loads over 4300 fps for it.

Yes I have been thinking of the 6.5 and the 30. never really thought of the 7mm but that would work also! also would it be better to use 30-06 brass for a 25 gibbs? Or use 25-06 for it as well?

I have a set of hornady generic neck dies for every caliber. I use the 25-06 and run them through the 6.5 neck die. Then I can run them back in the 25 caliber die and size down until it just chambers. Then I have my headspace. For anyone who has a lot of calibers to reload I recomend the set of hornady neck dies. They are like $15 each.

Bob, nice antelope. My wife loves to pop them with her 240 wby also. She is going deer hunting with it next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.