new to forum with lots of questions

elkhunter23

Hello everyone,
I have been reading posts on this forum for several weeks now and decided that this would be the best place to get some questions answered. First off, I have hunted big game for 12 years now and I have decided its time to start extending my shooting abilities. I am looking for a new rifle that will be capable of taking elk out to 600 yards with lots of practice. I think I have it narrowed down to either a Win. Coyote light stainless in 300WSM or a barreled action from Montana rifleman in 300WSM with a stock that I haven't decided on yet. I just wondered what you guys thought of either of these rifles or any experiences with them. The rifle will most likely have a Leopold VXIII 4.5-14 scope on it.
Another question is how difficult is it to fit a barreled action to a stock that has been made for the action for someone with no gunsmithing experience. I am hoping to learn how to bed an action shortly.
Finally, I am hoping to begin reloading here in the next month or so. I do want to keep costs low initially and I was thinking of purchasing the Lee anniversary kit with Lee full length sizing dies. I have a lot of reading to do first as far a reloading and making sure I don't blow anything up, but I would appreciate any opinions on a good first timer's kit.
Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts you have for me

The only advice I can give is DON'T BY A WINCHESTER. Not that I am very partial to any type of rifle. . . but I would stear clear of any ruger or winchester rifles. As far as factory rifles go I would say that these are not the best choice for long range work. I LOVE my savage and am planning to buy another one shortly. Caliber wise I think you are on the right track with the 300 WSM.

I second 7mmag man with dont buy a winchester. I havent dealt with any of the new rugers. The only one I have ever dealt with was an older one and it shot great but I dont know if that has changed. I also second the buying of a savage. Also would look at remington. I dont think they have a bull barrel 300wsm though so I would go with the savage for a factory rifle. Have fun with the practicing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Concur with 300 WSM.

If you want a factory 300 WSM, then savages are good, so are the Tikkas and so are the Winchesters.

A Winchester can be made to shoot just as accurately as any 700. The Rem 700 accuracy out of the box is normally nothing to bragg about either. The M70 has been the go to action for NRA LR shooters for many years and the first IBS 1000 yard BR shooter to win 100 match points two years ago did it with a Model 70.

I had a Win Coyote that was 1-1.5 MOA at 1000 after bedding and trigger work.

BH

Welcome to the board.

My rifle to do what you are intending is a Savage 110 in 7RM launching 162gr SST for short range work and Amax for LR work. Accuracy is outstanding and I am able to get some very nice velocities from the sporter 24" barrel.

I would use the 162gr 7mm over a 180gr 30cal due to much better ballistics and retained velocity. The higher retained velocity ensures better bullet expansion and reduced wind drift.

Jerry

Bounty, I like the way you tell it like it is. Winchester actions have probably brought as much glory to target shooters as the Rems. But for some strange reason only Remingtons will shoot and they are the only action to build on. My push-feeds will shoot with my 40X's anyday.

OOOPs, I forgot that Jerry can make Savages shoot - now how in the heck can that be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have built many long range P-dawg, elk, and vermin guns on win 70's they all shot .250 moa groups, rems, savages all about the same. (with all factory rifles, some tweaking maybe needed) Remmys may be more "chevy like" lots of aftermarket options that become apealing. I think Win actions have a better "look" to me anyway. I love the feel of a Pre-64 win action. Win actions seem to have a bad rap for some odd reason. I took a 220 swift to a bench rest match, they laffed at me, until it shot a .014 group... was second best of the entire day. (win mod 70 action)

Just my experience 35 years gunsmithing

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked into savage rifles after reading numerous threads about their accuracy. My only concern with these rifles is the accu-trigger. To me it looks mechanically complicated and would be prone to problems such as dirt or ice build up in harsh conditions. Any thoughts or experiences with this trigger would sure help me out in making a final decision. I would much rather spend $600 on a savage as opposed to $900 for the Win. if they are the best choice. Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.