Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

Great! Thanks for all the info. Answered basicly all my questions. Also,may I ask why you shoot the bergers over mks? At less than 2800fps their bc's differ by 0.02 and they have the same bullet weight. Is the Berger simply more accurate? I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide which to order. Also, do you know anyone who has a 20 or 30moa rem 700 sa base? I got a leftie rifle and need to buy one. Preferably used.

Great! Thanks for all the info. Answered basicly all my questions. Also,may I ask why you shoot the bergers over mks? At less than 2800fps their bc's differ by 0.02 and they have the same bullet weight. Is the Berger simply more accurate? I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide which to order. Also, do you know anyone who has a 20 or 30moa rem 700 sa base? I got a leftie rifle and need to buy one. Preferably used.

I shoot the Hunting VLD. This way I can use the same load/bullet for both target shooting and deer hunting.

I get the same accuracy from both the SMK and VLD.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Can't say I know anybody with a used canted-base. You could post a "want to buy" thread in the classified section and maybe you will get lucky. The alternative to the canted base is the Burris Signature Rings. You can get a set of off-set inserts for them and cant your scope. I use them on all my rifles.

Results for burris signature rings - Sorted by Best Match, on Page 1 (20 Items) - OpticsPlanet

The least expensive way to go with the Burris rings, would be to use weaver style bases (I've got a two piece set I would gladly give/send to you - just PM me if you want them) and Burris Signature rings. You could use a set up like this on either a right or left-hand rifle.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ngton-700-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-41717/

Wow thanks for the offer! Real great guys on this site here :) but I already have burris xtreme series rings and 30mm med rings. I really like the rings, those things are sturdy!! So would prefer to buy a canted base. But if it's more economical I'll buy the rings. Maybe I can trade my xtreme series rings for some? Will have to check the value of both.

Ah ofcourse, much easier to have one bullet for hunting and target shooting. I have some 168mks and 165game kings but these aren't for long range, just paper punching and pest control on my parents land. My local gun store doesn't sell bergers and was quite surprised to have a 15year old buying benchrest primers rl15 and complaining about the lack of 175grain mks :p I'll just have to order them online I suppose. I will set up some targets at 300yards to practice, probably walnuts since they're plentyful and slighty bigger than paintballs and smaller than eggs, just perfect. Hope my case trimmer comes before Friday so I can start loading some more rounds.

You've got a nice set of rings. Hopefully you will be able to find a canted base. I did a quick web search and the least expensive canted bases I could find were in the $90+ range.

You're smart to go with the 175 grain bullets for long range. The conventional wisdom says the 168 can't/won't make it to 1k. Although I have seen several guys with handloads that had no problems.

Good luck at the match. Take some pics and start a thread in the competition section to tell us about your experience and post your results.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f36/quantico-modified-f-class-w-pics-44039/

You've got a nice set of rings. Hopefully you will be able to find a canted base. I did a quick web search and the least expensive canted bases I could find were in the $90+ range.

You're smart to go with the 175 grain bullets for long range. The conventional wisdom says the 168 can't/won't make it to 1k. Although I have seen several guys with handloads that had no problems.

Good luck at the match. Take some pics and start a thread in the competition section to tell us about your experience and post your results.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f36/quantico-modified-f-class-w-pics-44039/

Yeah I'll most definatly make a post about it, been wanting to shoot in an f-class match for a while! I'm still thinking which to buy, I think the signature zee rings are more economical than a canted base. I'll just have to sell my xtreme series. My scope has a lot of elevation left, if I can get 40+ moa out of it, I may not even need them. And it's a ffp mildot so I can come up if needed. Also, I have a question abou my ballistic's calculator. I'm using the "Ballistic FTE" on my iPhone, and I don't understand the native drag model and drag model. If I keep both at G1 I get 387" drop, if I put the drag model as G7 (boat tail VLD) it says 384" drop, if I change both to G7 it says something around 270" drop. I input 2650fps as mz shooting 175 Berger VLDs.

If you've got 40moa left in your scope, then you are good to go.

When you start talking ballistic software and drag models, that is a voodoo that I do not have a complete understanding of.

PM jmason on this board. He is great with ballistic software. Tell him 280 sent you.

Here's a base I think will work for you. About $40.

I've only used PPC based software so I don't know if I can help w/ you Iphone. Try going to JBM ballistics and use the "litz" bullet profile. I'd set your Iphone to match that profile as closely as possible on your Iphone. To get it all right, you have to be certain your input to the program is all correct. Muzzle velocity isn't what your chrony reads, it's the actual velocity at the muzzle. As long as you measure the distance from your muzzle to your chrony and use that w/ JBM it will give you your true MV.

EGW Remington 700 Picatinny Tactical Scope Rail Mount - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Last edited:
Is it only me or can you guys see past the 3rd page of this thread? I can post past page 3 but can't navigate to it. When I click on page 4 it takes me to 3. Someone send me a PM please.

OK after I posted the last thread I can see it now. I could not see it before I posted the 2nd note on page 4 though.

there is also a range at ridgeway pa. n.c. part of the state just north of rt. 80
ive not been there but am told its a nice facility.
im sure its at least 800 yds and maybe more.
they hold silloette matches there, not sure of f class.
im told they have informal fun shoots there on weds. a.m. and shoot at clay targets.
might be a good place to practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.