Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

Ian B

Hello I am new here I've been shooting rifle for a good many years and never had the chance to get involved in long range rifle competitions tho I always wanted to I figure its now or never I'm looking to do F class or other similar not BR or Palma tho I don't have a set up for that. problem is and the question I am posting in this thread is I can find almost no information to even register for this in my state I can only find a few articles that focus more on what the matches are about and the gear to use etc that being said I know that I am going to have to travel quite a distance being that the only 1000 yard range in pa I know of is about a 4 hour drive away from me and most of theses competitions are probably not in pa thankfully I live right next to a 300 yard range that I practice on frequently with reduced targets:). I still have a lot to learn but I am willing to put the time money and effort in to this so if there is someone that can help me out and point me in the right direction from my state any info would be appreciate.

Welcome to the forum Ian.

There are a few places that offer F-Class matches that are within driving distance. Quantico, VA, Reade Range in Tyrone, PA, Thunder Valley, Ohio just off the top of my head. I know that Thunder Valley was recently leased, but they will still hold informal tactical and F-Class matches.

There are a few guys on here from PA that have shot at Quantico, and report that the environment is informal and fun. I'm sure they will chime in and give the specifics.

Actually, you're in a good area for this. Williamsport is the original 1000 yard benchrest club, and will be a good resource for you, even if you don't want to try BR. It's worth the drive to get to talk to the guys there and make contacts with the 'smiths in your area. Beyond that, take a look at some of the Palma or LR matches, as F-Class shoots are frequently held in conjunction with these. I just came back from Raton, NM and the Spirit of America match. Palma match, but they had several firing points for F-Class competitors on the line, and they fired concurrently with the other shooters in the match. Call the NRA, or look them up on line (the competitions division will have all the info you need here) for matches, dates, and the persons to contact for each.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

There are a few guys on here from PA that have shot at Quantico, and report that the environment is informal and fun. I'm sure they will chime in and give the specifics.

I'm north of Pittsburgh over here and I drive down to Quantico for the modified F-class. It's a good friendly environment. You just show up for a scheduled match and pay $35 to shoot.

Quantico, Reading PA are in your AO as mentioned.

Pretty sure you can forget Thunder Valley in Ohio. They were sold to a tactical org that is moving all of their training there and full schedule planned for that. Seriously doubt if you will ever see open time for matches there again from what I hear.

Oak Ridge TN, Camp Butner NC (just above Raleigh) are some others.

Go to long range target shooting forum and look at that for F class ranges. All the top F class guys hang out there.

BH

Hey thanks every one for the replies with your info I was able to find Reade range which offers f class BR and palma so they got a varied bunch that I can hopefully acquire knowledge from and its probably the closest to me at 2 hours drive from east Pittsburgh any one here have any experience there.
Out of curiosity To shoot at Quantico don't you need to be in the military or know some one who's a member there to get in

Quantico Shooting Club (QSC) has "modified" F class matches (shoot what you brought) and official F class matches, open to all.

Civilians can get on list to join the QSC by going to their website and filling out application. For every two military(active, retired, reserve etc) they are allowed one civilian. Look at their websites for match schedules and POC info.

BH

Ian- I didn't realize you from western PA. I'll be pretty tied up for the winter as far as shooting goes, but if you want to get together this spring and do some shooting I'm all for it. LR hunting seems to be pretty rare over this way so it would be nice to find someone local to shoot with too.

Ian- I didn't realize you from western PA. I'll be pretty tied up for the winter as far as shooting goes, but if you want to get together this spring and do some shooting I'm all for it. LR hunting seems to be pretty rare over this way so it would be nice to find someone local to shoot with too.

Can I come? can I come? Then y'all (that's southern) could come down and shoot Quantico.

Quantico "modified f-class' matches are great fun. Totally informal so you can learn a lot from the guys around you. Club membership not required.

Next modified F-Class at Quantico will be Nov 8th.

All are welcome, and it's a great venue for new shooters, since you don't need specialized equipment and coaching is allowed. Along with another couple regulars, I habitually lend out rifles for new shooters to try this sport and coach too.

From near P'burg, I'd also suggest following the Reade Range match schedule.

I hope to attend the nov 8 modified f class match but still need a little more information, if anyone could send me a link or just a pm with the starting time cost, sign up sheet etc. This would be my first match of any sort. I will be shooting my glass bedded rem 700 in .308 win wearing a falcon menace 4-14x44ffp. Is this enough scope? Also how can I practice? I own 200acres in Virginia (well my parents, I'm only 15) where I can shoot out to about 300yards, maybe more if I can find some other shooting lanes. I will most likely be shooting 175grain smks over rl15 in lc brass and cci br primers.

Any help would be much appriciated, just trying to get as much information as possible and everyone here has such a wealth of it, every little tidbit i get i'm very thankful for.

Thanks,
Oliver Lottermann

Oliver:
PM me and I'll be glad to answer whatever questions you might have. Because it's deer season, I wont' be at the match. Although it sounds like eshell will be there though. So I recommend you PM him. He's a great guy and will do his best to work with you and teach you all he knows.

Let me tell you what comes to mind right off the top of my head....

You've got a good rifle, with good optics (14x is enough to shoot 1k. I've shot 1k with a fixed 10x). The only issue might be your scope set up. You will need about 38moa 'up' to be able to shoot 1000 yards. You can determine that by zeroing your rifle at 100 yards, then turning your elevation turret and count how many minutes 'up' you have. If you don't have enough elevation, you will want to get a 30moa canted base or use the Burris Signature Rings with the offset inserts. In the alternative, if you have a mil-dot scope, you will be able to use a combination of turret adjustment and the dots. I know that's a lot to digest, PM me with any questions.

Shooting a 308, 175smk with RL15, that's a good load (I've shot 175SMK with 44grains of RL15 and my current load is a 175VLD with 44.5 RL15). If you happen to know your muzzle velocity, that will be helpful to those trying to get you on the target at 800 yards. Don't worry if you don't know. Anybody there will be able to get you on the target.

If all you've got is 300 yards to practice, then use it. Put up small dots and try to hit them. Concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting.....breath control, trigger control, making sure you have the same cheek weld every time.

You can find directions to the range at www.quanticoshootingclub.com Generally speaking, registration will begin at 0830 and shooting will generally start around 0900. Cost is $35 payable in cash at registration. There are no forms to complete. Because you're 15, you might need a parent/guardian with you. PM ehsell with that question - he will probably know.

Here's a thread where eshell provides a good list of gear to bring to the match. The only thing I will add to the list is to dress appropriately and generally speaking, overdress. You can always take a layer off if you get too warm. I've been cold on that range and nothing makes you miserable like being cold. Also, if you even think it's going to rain, bring rain gear. I shot a great match in the pouring down rain. Quantico 9th Modified F-Class match October 4th - Maryland Shooters

That's a good start. PM me if you have any more questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.