Getting back old barrel?

How I solved this kind of problem is get a good barrel vice and wrenches and remove your old barrel first. Then strip the action of the trigger and mounts and remove the firing pin assembly. The only thing they get is the basic bolt and action. Then no parts can be swapped off your action or get mixed up with other peoples parts and you can talk a discount because they don't have to remove a barrel or strip anything.
That is the first step to saying well I have gone this far I may as well buy a lathe and try fitting my own barrels . They are way easier to screw in than out.
If you buy a Savage then a new barrel can be fitted real easy.
Most Gunsmiths all around the world are cranky , rude self absorbed people and I do everything humanly possible to avoid them . So much so that eventually they drove me to learn to do all my own work. If I can't do it I sell the gun and get a new one rather than deal with a Gunsmith.
Cross myself I have not needed one in the last 15 years.
You think you have it bad I waited 2 years to get a job done and when I asked the smith when he was going to do it he said I could take it some place else . The A hole could have told me that 18 months ago . Well I went straight out and bought a lathe a mill and a metal bandsaw and have never looked back .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.