20 year old benchrest barrel?

specweldtom

JE Custom has let me use a stainless 5 groove .284 hunter benchrest taper barrel that he got from a benchrest rifle builder about 20 years ago. We believe it was made by a maker named Schutz or maybe Scherrer. Don't know if I'm even close on the spelling.

If anyone recognizes these names or something close, I would appreciate the info.

This seemed like the best forum for this question.

Thanks, Tom

Schutz Bros barrels

Tom
Last spring a seller on Ebay from OH was liquidating an estate of an older gunsmith. He had a Schutz Bros 243 blank for sale that fetched about $150. The writing on shank was all stamped neat and proper like someone took real pride in their work. Don't know of barrel quality however. I attempted several google searches etc but couldn't find out anything about them so did not bid. All I came up with was a Schutz Bros in NY I believe but mention was only of muzzle loader barrels. Sorry I cannot help you further only that I have heard the name and seen a pic of one, LOL!!!

SD, good start. I actually thought that the name was Schutz Bros., but wasn't sure. The barrel had been chambered in 7mm-08, so I never saw the maker I.D. on the butt of the blank. The smith that had it was very picky, so we knew it was a top maker. JE actually got it from his son, so we weren't positive about the identity. It was the first 5 groove I had ever seen, (and a dry patch goes through it like it was greased). I didn't find anything on a search either, (that I wanted).
I put it on a S/A 700 Remington and have it bedded into an A.I. laminate stock. Pretty gun, should shoot, too. It'll be about a week waiting on the Steelbed before I shoot it.

Eddie, I've been wanting to check that site out. Will do it today.

Thanks for the help, Tom

Eddie; I took your advice and posted on 6mm BR about a month ago. Just got an email from 357Mag (in Iraq) who saw it and confirmed that in fact, the name is Scheutz Bros and a man named Red Scherrer actually was the barrel maker. The shop was in Indiana; New Manchester, I think. The barrels haven't been made in years, but the two that I know about now are both stainless 5 groove cut rifled. I have other info (from the email) if anyone is interested, but not technical info.

On edit: the town is North Manchester.

Thanks for the tip, it worked out. Tom

Last edited:
This guy must have been the 'Rod Serling'(Twilight Zone) of barrel makers because your not getting much info here nor your post on 6BR. The guy that sold the 243 blank on Ebay was from OH or perhaps IN and was liquidating the assests of a deceased smith with many odds/ends from reamers to dies to assorted barrel blanks some untouched and others either threaded, partially chambered etc. He didn't know much about origin etc when asked questions and surely didn't try to blow smoke. Don't know if his was a 5 groove and cannot remember how it was marked on end relevant to # of grooves but it was stamped neatly groove and bore dia. Kinda wished I would have bought it but what do they say about wishing in one hand and s****** in the other?????? Have you shot yours yet?

Respectfully,
Dennis

Dennis, not yet, but am going to the range this coming week. I've been working on my projects, and now have a new .280 Rem to check out, but the 7-08 is on top of the list. It's my turkey neck shooter (I hope). I've been stalling waiting for cooler weather.

I'll post after I shoot it. It should be a dandy. Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.