GemPro 250 drift

i had one that went crazy. sent it back and they sent me a brand new one inthe box
Yea. They have a 30 year warranty.

I used my first for 2 years, them it started to drift and would not calibrate. Pretty sure it was not due to anything below the disk, as I had already learned to deal with that. Anyway, the one I have now has been providing good service for 3 years now. I am very careful not to bang it around anything. I leave it on the table in one spot.

Mine has been perfect to date without a single issue. It's the most accurate scale I've used. The warranty is excellent. If you have an issue send it back and they'll send you a new one. I wouldn't give up on them get a replacement.

I have tried everything that was suggested to get the GemPro 250 to work. I moved all electronics off my reloading desk, I even moved the scale to my kitchen table. I have warmed up for more than 24 hours and still, it will not calibrate. Guess I should have watched a couple of the videos before purchasing a couple of years ago.

Just ordered an RCBS Rangemaster 2000. if it doesn't work, I'm back to my manual RCBS 10-10 and Frankford Arsenal DC 750.

Last edited:
I still may send it back, but even when it worked (marginally), it still drifted and was slow to settle in.

What you are seeing is typical for a strain gauge. They are going to drift and they are slow to respond when trickling. Nature of the beast. Enviromental conditions can make it worse. I've been threw the gamut on digitals.

not to hijack but how do you all know your scale drifts? What do you look for? I use a GEMPRO250 but then take the tray and reway it on my balance scale as a double check. The balance beam only gives me .1 grain accuracy so I wouldn't see a drift of less than that.

After you zero the scale with the pan on watch the negative weight that displays when you remove the pan. If it doesn't display a negative weight you should hit zero after replacing the empty pan on the scale every 3rd charge. If you watch the scale in the video you can see the scale drifting.

After you zero the scale with the pan on watch the negative weight that displays when you remove the pan. If it doesn't display a negative weight you should hit zero after replacing the empty pan on the scale every 3rd charge. If you watch the scale in the video you can see the scale drifting.
So in theory if you are reZeroing and maybe even calibrating every so often then likely no issue?

So in theory if you are reZeroing and maybe even calibrating every so often then likely no issue?

Yes. Strain gauges drift by nature. Thats why they dont respond to trickling well. They have software to try and stop the drift but it makes them not want to change when you drop a kernel of powder. All of the digitals I have used say to zero every so many rounds. I will watch the scale when I pick up the pan. If the reading changes I re zero.

Yes. Strain gauges drift by nature. Thats why they dont respond to trickling well. They have software to try and stop the drift but it makes them not want to change when you drop a kernel of powder. All of the digitals I have used say to zero every so many rounds. I will watch the scale when I pick up the pan. If the reading changes I re zero.
So if I'm trickling into the pan, when I think I'm good...would it benefit me to dump that charge into another pan, then zero out the original pan and dump the weighed charge into the original pan again and reweigh to confirm? I don't care about speed in reloading as I don't reload a lot but rather I reload for accuracy so confirming my weights is most critical.

So if I'm trickling into the pan, when I think I'm good...would it benefit me to dump that charge into another pan, then zero out the original pan and dump the weighed charge into the original pan again and reweigh to confirm? I don't care about speed in reloading as I don't reload a lot but rather I reload for accuracy so confirming my weights is most critical.

well back when i was using the gempro i trickled on one and checked the weight on another one. when both scales agreed i was good.

they are cheap scales why not use 2.

get you some lee powder scoops and a little dandy trickler and 2 gempros and go to town

or buy Adam's autotrickler system and love charging cases. Painless, Fast and Accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts