Gathering Ballistic data above 80 deg. is "unreliable"...

CB11WYO

So... about two weeks ago I did some shooting for a friend, finding his real-world drop data, velocity and what not. The reason being that he just purchased and mounted a Huskemaw scope and wants to get into the LR game. I validated his data for him so he could send the info in to the Huskemaw peeps to get some custom drop turrets made (I believe the first couple are free with the purchase of the scope).

Well after sending his info in he got a phone call and a rep telling him that his data was unreliable due to the high temperatures the shooting was done in (85-90 degrees). They told him to do it all over again... at cooler temperatures.

Now I think I understand what they are concerned about, though I personally don't think it is a valid concern. If they are going to tweak his data via ballistic solver to make turrets for different elevation/temperature combos anyway then why make him go through the validation and data gathering process again?

Maybe some of the southern desert-100-degree guys could chime in... I'm just feeling a little puzzled and frustrated :)

Thanks

-Clint

... If they are going to tweak his data via ballistic solver to make turrets for different elevation/temperature combos anyway then why make him go through the validation and data gathering process again?

I'm not a desert rat, but I do shoot in high temperatures (90- 110 degrees) quite often and temperatures throughout the year vary from 20 degrees to 110 degrees. I have to admit that my ballistics characteristics change over that range of temperatures but regardless of the temperatures that I choose to collect my basic load data I have to make adjustments to accommodate those changes.
So I have to agree with you.
Granted, collecting the data at the extreme edges of the temperature variables makes it more difficult to find the median point for optimum accuracy but you have to start somewhere.

...Granted, collecting the data at the extreme edges of the temperature variables makes it more difficult to find the median point for optimum accuracy but you have to start somewhere.

Yup that's the part I agree on as well.

This guy is planning on the 700-800 yard shot, I was thinking that gathering data at 85 degrees wouldn't make that much difference at these type of distances. Stretch to 1600 yards and then yeah let's start being particular about data-gathering weather. Probably a liability thing...

Do they think it's not good to hunt in warm temperatures? I mean, I've got a cow elk tag this year that opens the 15th of August so yes we shoot and hunt in the heat! :)

Wonder what ballistics software they use??

Dunno...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.