G7

No bc the unit itself takes real time pressure and temp readings. It gives you a shoot to firing solution. Your zero isn't impacted as the range is to short to make a difference.

Is that for a 100 yards zero only? Does the G7 accept environmental inputs for zeros that are beyond 100 yards, like 200 or 300?

Reason I ask is the Shooter app does not need original environment info for 100 yard zeros. But Shooter requires them for zeros beyond that since the additional time of flight for a 200 plus zero can start to affect the solution at varying altitudes/pressures.

The only thing that would be better is G7 binoculars - one device. If I were Aaron at Gunwerks I would be working with Nightforce to develop G7 Binoculars with the following goals:

Ultra light weight (maybe carbon fiber body)
Smaller than competing Leicas and Swaros
Minimum glass quality equaling Leica and Swaro for edge to edge clarity and brightness so probably using Schott glass from germany etc - Japanese glass wont do.
Even better G7 Ballistics calc
More powerful laser
Possibly a pop up built in wind meter giving constant (say every 5 second) wind updates and firing solutions.

I would pay north of $3k for that.

Actually I would amend this to have bluetooth that interacted with the Kestrel for wind data at a minimum. Davidson bros are you reading? Ha I'm sure your actual plans are far better than I outlined! I hope I am sorta reading your mind......

The 270 WSM I use as a walking varmint rifle... and the occasional elk, is zeroed for 2.25 high at 100 yds. My LR rifle, 7 mag, is zeroed dead on at 200 yds. .223 zeroed dead on at 100, 22-250 2.5 high at a hundred. They all have the base atmospheric conditions from what ever day I entered data. What I have fine tuned has been velocity, using the validation feature for the software, on their website. Once everything is dialed in, as gunner69 said, the unit measures atmospherics in real time and makes the necessary adjustments.
I've shot at altitudes from around 6000' in eastern Utah to over 12000' on the continental divide, and the unit has given me very accurate solutions.

The 270 WSM I use as a walking varmint rifle... and the occasional elk, is zeroed for 2.25 high at 100 yds. My LR rifle, 7 mag, is zeroed dead on at 200 yds. .223 zeroed dead on at 100, 22-250 2.5 high at a hundred. They all have the base atmospheric conditions from what ever day I entered data. What I have fine tuned has been velocity, using the validation feature for the software, on their website. Once everything is dialed in, as gunner69 said, the unit measures atmospherics in real time and makes the necessary adjustments.
I've shot at altitudes from around 6000' in eastern Utah to over 12000' on the continental divide, and the unit has given me very accurate solutions.

OK. Thanks. Understand now.

I use Swarvo 10x42 binos with range finder... Yes, they cost all the jack but spotting a 5x5 at 1300 yards makes it worth all the while. I have accurately ranged animals beyond a mile.

With respect to the rifle... There is no equal to an accurate dope chart or custom elevator bezel from Kenton Industries. To the point of the earlier conversation the only thing I am missing wind value and speed.

After using the original model with great success for four seasons, I just completed a Wyoming antelope hunt and an Alberta mule deer and whitetail hunt with the new improved model. The new provided a substantial improvement in ranging difficult targets in the 1000-1400 yard range. The highlight of the season was making three consecutive shots on three antelope in heavy sage from a single location on a bluff within a 15 minute period. A buck at 658 yards, doe at 788 yards, and a doe at 1181 yards. All DRT chest shots. Took a heavy drop tine mulie and a big white tail in Alberta. The G7 is an excellent rangefinder!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 52
Heck ya Greyfox! 3 long range hits in a row at antelope, nobody can say it was luck. I'm hoping to do the same next year, I am a wy resident so I got a good shot of getting tags. For those of you who haven't been speedgoat hunting they are tiny, there chest is about the size of a milkjug!

Heck ya Greyfox! 3 long range hits in a row at antelope, nobody can say it was luck. I'm hoping to do the same next year, I am a wy resident so I got a good shot of getting tags. For those of you who haven't been speedgoat hunting they are tiny, there chest is about the size of a milkjug!

Thanks. Had my buddy on the G7. I'm not sure the "trifecta" would have been possible without his help. After a 10 minute explanation about how to use the Trutargeting capability of my g7 rangefinder he became very proficient in its use and was able to pick up very accurate ranges on the goats which were obscured by interfering sage. Wind also wasn't too bad at a steady 3 o'clock, 4-5 mph. My 6.5x284 Cooper now in its 6th season continues to deliver exceptional accuracy. I have become addicted to hunting goats. They are the ultimate long rang quarry!!
Good luck with your tags next season.

The only thing that would be better is G7 binoculars - one device. If I were Aaron at Gunwerks I would be working with Nightforce to develop G7 Binoculars with the following goals:

Ultra light weight (maybe carbon fiber body)
Smaller than competing Leicas and Swaros
Minimum glass quality equaling Leica and Swaro for edge to edge clarity and brightness so probably using Schott glass from germany etc - Japanese glass wont do.
Even better G7 Ballistics calc
More powerful laser
Possibly a pop up built in wind meter giving constant (say every 5 second) wind updates and firing solutions.

I would pay north of $3k for that.

Actually I would amend this to have bluetooth that interacted with the Kestrel for wind data at a minimum. Davidson bros are you reading? Ha I'm sure your actual plans are far better than I outlined! I hope I am sorta reading your mind......

How far do you think they are away from the next model? I don't have a decent pair of binoculars, no range finder, no ballistics calculator. I would also be all over something like this. I'm going to need something by next fall, so they had better get moving! :rolleyes:

How far do you think they are away from the next model? I don't have a decent pair of binoculars, no range finder, no ballistics calculator. I would also be all over something like this. I'm going to need something by next fall, so they had better get moving! :rolleyes:

Who knows but I bet they are working on it and I would bet any amount of money that they arnt the only ones working on a holy grail device as described. First to market will have a huge advantage. You might see Swarovski or Leupold partner with Litz for example. Who knows. All speculation but be assured it's in the works.

I got my G7 BR2 at this time last year and immediately killed a cow elk at 800 yards. I have used the rangefinder to perfect my velocity and now the hits are easy. My deer this year was only 486, but the speed of the rangefinder made the shot possible, if I had to use a separate ballistic program, there is a good chance the deer would have walked out of sight before I could have gotten a shot. This last Saturday I killed a cow elk at around 520 yards, I was close to 10,000 feet, cold out, and very little time to set up. Ranged the herd at 507, dialed 8.25 moa and pulled the trigger. Speed is the biggest plus for me.

Thanks for the great feedback. Its good to see a lot of positive experiences!

We spend so much time in the field, I just cant imagine a product that would replace the BR2.....unless it was a bino.

We have been kicking around design concepts, and we run into some problems when looking at placing a RF in a bino. A mono RF can have ok optics. A bino HAS to be exceptional. It doesn't look like beating the Leica will be difficult (although the ergonomics are awesome). The Swaro is another matter. We can beat them on range, but it looks like to achieve better optics we would have to use a porro prism design.

We are still examining options. It would be a couple years best case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts