G7

I have'nt heard anything negative about them but I did not want the ballistic program in my RF so I got the Vectronics PLRF 15 which is outstanding.

If i don't get the g7 br2 range finder, for money's sake I think I will go with the leica 1600, kestrel 3500, and a phone app for calculation.

I didn't get it either till I tried one at a Gunwerks level 1/2 shooting class. They are super and the ballistics algorithms are much better than the Leicas which are a watered down version (which Gunwerks also developed for Leica by the way). Used mine to take a bull elk last week at 680 yards at 10,000 asl. The program told me to dial for 660 yards given pressure. Took the shot corrected for wind and Coriolis and the bull died without taking a step very humanely. I really like mine and recommend but understand there are other ways to do it for much less money.

For hunting if it does what everybody says, I don't think you can beat it...I'm in wyoming and think it would rock, I guess I just wanted to hear real hunters shooter reviews before I dropped that kind of coin.

I have had mine for two years and you couldnt drag it away from me, It amazes me and my sons everytime we go out shooting. Its in my opinion the best thing you can get for shooting long range and hunting.

Ceder

The only thing that would be better is G7 binoculars - one device. If I were Aaron at Gunwerks I would be working with Nightforce to develop G7 Binoculars with the following goals:

Ultra light weight (maybe carbon fiber body)
Smaller than competing Leicas and Swaros
Minimum glass quality equaling Leica and Swaro for edge to edge clarity and brightness so probably using Schott glass from germany etc - Japanese glass wont do.
Even better G7 Ballistics calc
More powerful laser
Possibly a pop up built in wind meter giving constant (say every 5 second) wind updates and firing solutions.

I would pay north of $3k for that.

Just used new mrad G7 to take cow elk at 648 and 490 both one shot kills DTRs.
Shooting 300 Norma improved with 230 target Berger amazing performance.

Diddo to what gunner69 said about G7 binos I would buy tomorrow ! Thanks Mike for advice to on waiting for MRad version definitely worth it.

I've been using the BR2 for a few years now. My furthest, ever, shot was a first shot kill on a marmot at 1402 yards. I've used this rangefinder to take 6 marmots at over 3/4 mile now, and a bunch more between 600 and 1200 yards, not to mention too many prairie dogs to remember out to 962 yards, with 3 different rifles. This is an amazing piece of equipment.
I have also spent a good amount of time testing and fine tuning my ballistic inputs to get this kind of solutions from the unit.
Shot my furthest ever elk this year at 1098 yards after ranging him with the BR2.

One question I have when setting up the g7 br2 rangefinder it doesn't look like you input your original conditions when you zerod or sighted in your gun? (Elevation and temp) Say you sighted in your gun at 50 degrees and 7000 ft elevation and then went on a texas hunt thats confusing in my mind. Shouldn't you have to input all this so it has a base to go off of?

One question I have when setting up the g7 br2 rangefinder it doesn't look like you input your original conditions when you zerod or sighted in your gun? (Elevation and temp) Say you sighted in your gun at 50 degrees and 7000 ft elevation and then went on a texas hunt thats confusing in my mind. Shouldn't you have to input all this so it has a base to go off of?

No bc the unit itself takes real time pressure and temp readings. It gives you a shoot to firing solution. Your zero isn't impacted as the range is to short to make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts