G7 rangefinder? Do I need it?

edodd

I shoot a factory savage 116 300 win mag with a Nikon Monarch 3 with a custom turret. I can hit 600-700 yards at the range. But for hunting is it really worth getting the G7 rangefinder? I currently have a leupold rangefinder with the angle compensation and what not. I haven't tried hunting with it yet but I'd like to know if I should get it before hand because I don't want to injure any game. Thanks!

IMO, yes, if you're looking for precise ballistic solutions. Beside measuring incline, the G7 also measures, and compensates, for atmospheric conditions.

I have been using the G7 for four seasons. It has performed flawlessly and I and wouldn't part with it. I will also say that I was able to successfully take game out to 1000 yards when I was using "range only" rangefinders and the necessary devises and calculators/charts to determine the ballistic formula. The first requirement of the RF is that you can get an accurate range on the game you are hunting. The rest can be figured out and applied. The G7 will do much of the work for you and save time, critical for me being primarily a whitetail hunter. The big guys don't give you much time.IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.