G7 BR2 (Ballistic Rangefinder 2000) rangefinder video intro

Just thinking out loud, and maybe I'm wrong. Having a painted turret and then having a rangefinder that will make corrections to it, and now having a ballistic program that makes corrections to the turret, just seems more complicated than just putting the correct MOA into your scope.

Ditto...

From what I'm gathering, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a ballistic turret to make use of this product? Seems to me that if my NF doesnt have thier turret, then it's useless to those of that dial for distance in MOA?

Put an MOA correction on that dude's read out, and I'll buy one.

....and ditto

Great idea and product you have there Arron, but if it doesn't spit out MOA, then it's useless to me and a lot of other folks. Have hashed all through this in various BDC vs non-BDC turret threads. BDC is great for some but not others. Speaking for myself, I'm a natural born tinkerer who loves to try out new bullets and powders, etc. I also switch out my scopes now and then and for these and other reasons, the BDC just does not work for me.

Are you making a non-BDC version, and if not, I'm wondering why? Seems to me the programming would be simpler as mentioned by BMcKell.

-Mark

The reason they won't make an MOA version is because it would make their turret obsolete. Their business revolves around that turret and without it they would just be selling rangefinders.

FOR MOA USERS:

It returns the air density and angle corrected shooting distance. You use this distance, look up the MOA on your chart, turn the dial on your MOA turret to the correct MOA, shoot.

The reason they won't make an MOA version is because it would make their turret obsolete. Their business revolves around that turret and without it they would just be selling rangefinders.

That's what it looks like from where I'm stting... An LRF that spit out MOA corrections would make BDC turrets obsolete. I asked this very same question last year when they first started talking about this LRF and never got an answer.

We'll see what Aaron has to say.

If they don't want to fill this market gap, I'm sure there will be some other enterprising folks that will and then they will have both an obsolete scope and LRF.

FOR MOA USERS:

It returns the air density and angle corrected shooting distance. You use this distance, look up the MOA on your chart, turn the dial on your MOA turret to the correct MOA, shoot.

Len, I can buy a Leica 1600 that gives me angle, PA and temp for $750 and it is very compact. It will give me fairly accurate corrections out to 500 yds or so. Why would I want to buy this for $1500, especially when there a chance the real deal will show up in a year or two making my $1500 investment obsolete?

Better question... why won't Aaron and company just get it right now?

I'll hold on to my $$$ until what I need becomes available.

Don't forget that this RF replaces your angle indicator, your field computer and weather station. I think it's worth the price if it performs as advertised... and... they put out an MOA version.

The Leica CRF1600 spits out your temp, barometric pressure, and angle of inclination/declanation... it also has the smallest beam divergence in its class and ranges to 1500+ yards in midday sun on trees and grass etc... All for $750.

What worries me about this rangefinder is LaserTech are subcontracted for engineering the instrument side of it. So far they produce many units of thier own brand mainly for use in the forestry/construction industry, and also produce all the instrumentation used in Bushnell rangefinders. Their beam divergence 2x3 milrad and typically range out to 1000yds on non-reflective targets reliably...The beam divergence isnt good enough IMHO, to be relied upon in certain HUNTING scenarios... Hopefully, and i really do hope, they have specified something better than what they normally use, which might explain the increased price... - although the smaller volumes make this unlikely...

I saw that the beam divergence was 2x4..., but I am going to reserve judgement until I hear back from people using them in the field.

We are very close to setting the final specifications. A first batch of units is testing production. We'll sort out a few issue that have come up, and we will start regular production.

The MOA calculations are MUCH simpler. I can assure you that the topic of including the MOA calculations in a production rangefinder has absolutely nothing to do with our investment in BDC's. Think about it, with a comprehensive ballistic RF with MOA output, our market is much bigger, and we don't have the requirement to build a custom turret for every customer.

I will do everything I can to bring the best product to market.

Crap. $1500 is a lot of cash for this broke college kid but, if this thing works as advertised I'll be goin even more broke:D

It's the good people like Aarom that I have much respect for.
"I will do everything I can to bring the best product to market."

I can't wait for the near future when something like the Burris Eliminator and G7 are combined and perfected!

Maybe I'm dreaming but, it sure is fun to imagine!

Well it seem they are willing to take my money, so if i order one when do i get it? I have to much crud on back order right now, i dont know if i could wait for this mother.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.